Tidal Fish Forum banner

Under the Bridge....Again

Fishing Report 
5K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  classicrockfish 
#1 ·
Yes... it's another schoolie report.:D

Splashed the boat around 11:AM to try the Coleman bridge again today. Released a couple at 18-19" pretty quick, and continued toward the Yorktown side looking for some bigger fish. Got a good hit at the first big round piling and reeled in a healthy 22"er. A few more drops up current of the structure and I hooked a good ~27" fish for my limit.:))

Still had plenty of time to fish, so I made a couple phone calls to see if someone was up for some fishing. Just like last Sunday... fishboy01 wasn't doing anything and headed for the ramp.:rolleyes: I C/R'd a few more around 20" or so while I waited and re-rigged a couple of gnarled leaders. The phone rang, I picked him up and we went back to fishing.

Getting the jig in the right spot is not easy when the current is strong and the current was ripping pretty good now. Several drops, drifts and snags and we finally found a working program. Brian hooked another nice ~27" fish for the cooler and we caught a couple smaller fish here and there.

At some point in the 'here and there' catching, I dropped a new color for me....a 6" chartreuse bass assassin stuck to the same 1oz red jigs I've been using. It hit the bottom in a good spot and I hooked into a nice fight. This one was over 30", and saved us some trouble by releasing itself boat side. Shortly after that Brain hooked another ~30" fish on a 2oz red jig w/7" chart/white gulp jerk shad in about the same spot.:clap: Needless to say...chartreuse is my new favorite color!:D

The fishing slowed to a halt with the slowing outgoing current and we called it a day. Overall we caught around 10 or so fish with most being in the 18-20" range and kept three for the fire. We caught most of them ~30-35' down on the 'ledge' up current of the pilings or just as the jig rounded the corner in the current. We were getting hit very close to the wall of concrete... anywhere else and it seemed we were just wasting time.;-)

Weather was perfect and the fishing was good. Hope some of the other boats out there today got some meat in the box.:yes: Another fun day burning a little gas, catching some nice schoolies, and some slot fish to boot....under the bridge!:clap::clap::clap:

James

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks for the phone call and invite....... fun catching those fish on jigs, and I wouldn't have ever thought that one could catch nice 30+ inch fish under the Coleman using vertical jigs. Looking forward to colder temps and some more scouting w/ live bait. :thumbup:

#11 ·
James, I guess that's what Grandma meant when she said that it was all "Water under the bridge!". You gotta love that old lady. She made sense. Almost makes up for her being a liar, cheat, and hanging out at Ocean View evenings.;-)

#16 ·
twr,

Didn't notice any yesterday, but in previous weeks these things...

were stuck to the fish like.....:nono: Sorry, I just can't bring myself to add a Grandma reference here.:D

That pic is from a fish caught on Oct. 4th. I still don't know what it all means.:confused:

James

#19 ·
Area is pretty restricted... channel, submerged cable area, etc. I don't remember ever seeing anyone anchored in fish able distance. I don't know exactly what a "bridge sweep" is, but I hear it on the radio just before the NWS boat hauls butt to the bridge. I'll let someone else find out.:D

James

#20 ·
Pretty work James and Brian. Dont you just love that gas guzzling run of 200 yds from the ramp :D Hopefully we I will be out there this weekend some time to give it a try. The beastie is a parasitic isopod (Lironeca ovalis), pretty common and have seen a few recently while tagging on the Rapp.

H.

#21 ·
Hey all,

I just started fishing this past summer and have fished near the Coleman a few times in my kayak. I am anxious to catch my first striper and am curious about the rig used (remember I'm a newbie! :yes:).

Any information and details would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#22 · (Edited)
jamesatk,

I've mostly been using a rod/reel that I bought for flounder jigging. It's a 7' graphite rod with a baitcaster reel spooled with 20# powerpro. I splice about 10' of 40# mono to the braided line for abrasion resistance and then tie directly to the jig. The jigs I've been using are 1oz and usually carrying a 6-7" Gulp jerk shad.:thumbup: The fish are barely tapping...if you can't feel it, you can't reel it.:D

I'm new enough to this type of fishing to just recently learn its name.:eek:o Do a search for "vertical jigging". Lots of good stuff to read!:yes:

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.