Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told this week by a vendor from the Timonium Fishing and Sport Show in early January that the show was being reduced to just 1 building this year (I believe the north building) due to lack of vendors.

Last Thursday I get confirmation the Chesapeake Outdoor & Fishing Expo held at the Equestrian Center in Upper Marlboro has been cancelled due to a 60% drop in vendors and a 70% drop in booth space rental. This was always a great show to kick off the winter fishing show season. Looks like the Tristate Flea Market in early February will now start the season.

Now more than ever, the local tackle shops need your business. Times are tough all around but if you need fishing gear I encourage you to patronize your favorite LOCAL shop. Most all tackle shops sell gift certificates and will probably sell them over the phone and mail to your house or business. Let's try to help keep the local shops going so when you are asked "What do you want for Christmas?" you can say a Gift Certificate from your favorite local shop.

Not a sermon just a thought!

·
Registered
13,956 Posts
Great Idea! The big events will survive a missed season but the local shops will not.Support your local business..... fishing related or not!........Gary

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
do most local shops stay open year round? I know that the one that I have been going to for the last 20+ years closes on 1 Dec...

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Wayne,I'm feelin' the pain also.Its really a Ugly Economy out there.I think alot more small Businesses will be shuttin' down.People just don't have expendable income anymore and I think that some that do are spending a bit more conservatively.Read that 60 small Busineses in MD. have tanked already.

I hope the Small Tackle Shops can stay afloat,I'd think nothin' of droppin' a C-Note at the Tackle Shops just 6 months ago.Now.........I have to count my Pennies,I've taken a 50-60% pay cut because no one is buying Cars or gettin' them repaired unless necessary.

I'm all in favor of supporting our Tackle Shops!!!!God knows we would be screwed if We had to rely on the Big Box stores!Alright Guys....Lets visit our local Shops and BUY some stuff this Winter!!!![Mike]

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a lot of the locals may close during the winter and I am sure lack of customer traffic dictates the move however most of the local shops have posted winter phone numbers and will open for you if you want to go shopping.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Times are tough. A friend was layed off at a large boat dealership and I just saw Tri State is closing their store on the eastern shore. It's not a pretty picture.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks Wayne for reminding everybody to patronize the local shop (s). I'm afraid the economic picture seems to be getting worse rather than better and small businesses, of all kinds, are going to be the first to suffer. Having just retired from the AACO police department I now find the need to have to find employment and it's not there, living on a fixed income in a crappy economy on reduced income from investments sucks !!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
We decided not to do the Upper Marlboro show this year but it has nothing to do with the economy. We did the show last year and enjoyed it for the most part but for us the hours were just too long. As some of you know I have horses and dogs that both have to have serious attention twice a day. I don't have anyone to help with that so last year we were up there at the barn in the dark for both feedings. When you are dealing with water and ice that's an issue. I just don't want you all to think that everyone who isn't showing up this year is going out of business although I feel bad for those who are. Other people might have made that decision as well because of other reasons. I wish there were some shows that had abbreviated hours because I might do more of that type of thing if it were more convenient. Just my two cents! How nice that someone is thinking of the "little guy" though in starting this post! Christy

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
I know the local shops I deal with are really hurting.I hope they all reopen next spring but it would not surprise me if 1-2 do not.

Anglers is having a ladies night on Dec. 4th - hoping to help women pick out the right gifts :thumbup:.

Shame about the fishing shows - they are always fun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I shake at the thought of my local tackle shop not being there for me. Times have been tight and are gettin tighter. They put in long hours from "o" dark thirty until the late evening hours. Intel from these local shops is priceless. Hope we can keep them going until things pick up. I have had great customer service unlike the box stores. Let's not forget our friends!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Timonium show was very poor last year. The vendors were selling tackle at much higher prices than I can get online, at Dicks, or BPS. Why would anyone pay more for tackle here especially when they already paid $10 to get in the door? The economy may have something to do with it but the Vendors did it to themselves. Give the patrons value when they get in the door.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I know the tin dart guy said he is never going to Upper Marlboro again because they treated him so poorly. I also heard several of the vendors at Upper Marlboro were complaining and thinking about cancelling attendance for the coming year. Upper Marlboro cancelling is not that big of a surprise. It is sad since it is the one show in my back yard.

Earliegh Heights is a must attend show since they have the flea market inside and it will be the only show the tin dart guy will attend in this area. I picked up several good buys last year. I will want to pick up a few Wee Willy's this year for the spring rainbow trout season. Those things are killers on the stocked rainbows.

I will probably make the hike to Timonium because Mary and Tim Groves will probably be there. I like talking to them. They also do really nice seminars and a lot of area where I can meet up with the TF folks.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I rarely miss the Earleigh Heights show and the timing gets me in the mood. Considering I didn't get out in my own boat this year because of projects, I hope to hit the water frequently in 2009. I guess time will tell whether the show will go on. Let's hope.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I try to go to Clydes or Warrens Bait shop as much as I can. I only live 5 minutes from Bass Pro, but I rather pay a couple extra bucks and give them my business. I have no problem with Bass Pro as the guys who work in the fishing department are pretty good but the Mom and Pop shop are really taking a beating especially now.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I had a few reels worked on and a rod tip replaced at martys in edgewater.
Marty worked on the penns and helped me out with an old 49 that i wanted to keep using for the bay and Jim took care of the aftco roller tip.

Now where can you get service like that!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Closed

I have done all the Timmonium shows to date all 24 but will not be there this year Beck's Gunsmithing 30 years in business in the Parkton area doing Minn Kota sales and service some of you know me and have done business. We closed our store in Aug. I am now going to try to keep my hand in it with mail order and support Ray Electric Outboard sales and service. Will still be doing rigging of Res. Boats for the Bass Fishermen.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Wayne:

Great post. Thanks for caring about the great people who own and operate our local shops. It is a dreary thought that all we might have is Bass Pro, or Sports Authority to shop and where "no local knowledge is ever available.

Thanks.

GT

1 - 20 of 26 Posts