Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this about the gill Netters and all these fish they are catching I am no genius but it makes me think that this season might not be good at all. It was not good for me last year. I usually have gone to all the Flea Markets by now and am loaded up on my trophy season gear. But this year I am going to fish with what I have now and see how it is in preseason. If it is bad, I don't want to go spend 300 dollars to not catch anything. Just a thought,

Ryan

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Ryan, Commercial fishing goes on all year. The sizes being caught point to a great season this year. Don't let all the hyperbole get to you.

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
What has been caught in the winter nets really surprises me. There are many BIG fish around and although many were caught, MANY were not. This looks like it will be a good Spring although could have been better if not for the nets. The gill net season closed early so that is a plus. We will have to wait and see.............Gary

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
I agree with Charlie...don't think for a minute those same nets weren't out there for the last few years and many many more...

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Yeah, I think we're seeing what's been wrong with our summer fishery now. Those are our resident fish laying dead in those illegal nets. I'm concerned that there are a lot more nets out there catching fish right now.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I agree with Charlie...don't think for a minute those same nets weren't out there for the last few years and many many more...
I agree...I gotta believe the gill nets have been around every year and probably due to an increase in enforcement maybe there were less than usual out there this year. So, maybe this will year will be better than last. Only time will tell. I plan to do more preseason C & R this year so I'm gonna be an optimist.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Those gill nets are there and have been there since before my time. They are on every tributary of the bay and will continue to be until the penalty is so steep it's not worth attempting it. Think about it logically, alot of those guys are old seasoned waterman. They've done it their whole lives, it's all that they know. They aren't going to stop fishing nets for a $1000 fine, they make that back in a day. Until the penalty is so severe that they can't afford to get caught, that is when and ONLY when it will stop.

When i was a kid i grew up around crisfield and back then you hardly ever saw a rockfish. Gill netters targeted speckled trout and they would bring them into the docks in 55 gallon barrels.

The only saving grace we have is that this year there has been more public exposure to it than ever before. I have personally pulled gill nets and the average joe has ZERO idea what really goes on. Even some of the people on this board, their jaw would drop if they saw what you pull out of a gill net.

The best we can hope for is that these nets keep getting found, and we keep getting news coverage, pictures, etc and that surfaces to the public eye and not swept under the carpet.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Those gill nets are there and have been there since before my time. They are on every tributary of the bay and will continue to be until the penalty is so steep it's not worth attempting it. Think about it logically, alot of those guys are old seasoned waterman. They've done it their whole lives, it's all that they know. They aren't going to stop fishing nets for a $1000 fine, they make that back in a day. Until the penalty is so severe that they can't afford to get caught, that is when and ONLY when it will stop.

When i was a kid i grew up around crisfield and back then you hardly ever saw a rockfish. Gill netters targeted speckled trout and they would bring them into the docks in 55 gallon barrels.

The only saving grace we have is that this year there has been more public exposure to it than ever before. I have personally pulled gill nets and the average joe has ZERO idea what really goes on. Even some of the people on this board, their jaw would drop if they saw what you pull out of a gill net.

The best we can hope for is that these nets keep getting found, and we keep getting news coverage, pictures, etc and that surfaces to the public eye and not swept under the carpet.
Hate to say it but as soon as PSCR gets rolling, and then the open season, a few good reports and pictures of hog bass show up on the message board, all this concern about netting will disappear. There will be a great swirl of dust as folks rush from their keyboards to get in on the action, and the momentum built will be lost until next winter.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm not what you would consider an old hand at bay fishing but I too am worried about the # rock in particular big rock being killed. Injury curtailed my fishing last year but at least for us it seems the last three years has seen a decline spring and fall trolling. Still catching fish but having to work harder and longer to catch em. I know there is an ebb and flow to population, good spawn one year, poor the next, but no getting around it, it isn't the duck soup fishing we had gotten used to. Just my personal observation, I know others might disagree

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
2010 was a tough spring trolling season for many that went after large fish. 2009 I needed 2-3 guys to help reel in fish as I sought a true monster. 2010 - I was able to fish with 1 guy or alone. Only got a few hits most trips.

Some charters switched tactics in 2010 and went after smaller but legal 28 to 34 inch males in shallow water - just to get the party a limit.
Dragging big stuff out deep often only gave up a few fish.

No way to know how the 2011 spring will be until late May. I plan to start PSCR trolling around March 1st. The six rod limit does hinder my search pattern and trying to figure out what the fish want but if they are around - I should still get a few.
My fishfinder tells me as much as the lures do.

The bulk of the spring fish are the ones that migrate - we often see Sea lice on them. As others pointed out - these big fish got hammered off NC.

If 2011 turns out like 2010 did for most - we got serious troubles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts