Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the call yesterday from Matt at seaport marine after having my boat for nine days.He can find nothing wrong with the engine.Fuel pressure,spark,injector operation,multible fuel test,compression test,laptop code test,operating temp test,lower unit oil sample,and other tests,have shown no problems.The engine ran fine in the test tank and did not mis at any rpm range.
The last time the engine missed while in gear AND would not run past 3000rpm.I guess it had some trash in one of the injectors.Cant see how because it has the 10 micron filter/sep on it and was service recently.I plan on taking it out for a test soon.Seaport charged me $85.00 and could not find anything wrong.I'm ok with the charge only if the problem is somehow gone.

Wish me luck,
Bobby Allen
PS I will update after test run!!!:boat:

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I don't have that engine but I have a honda 130 that was giving me rpm problems when I was in rough seas. Actually it started when I had finished trolling for about two hours (I hate trolling, don't know what I'm doing) with the engine trimmed all the way down.

What was happening was water was getting inside the cowl and shorting out one of my spark plug wires or coils. I was only getting use of 3 cylinders and this problem would not reproduce itself when at the shop. It had to be put under a load with some decent swells or it would happen when I'd leave the engine trimmed all the way down when I came off plane.

I changed the coils and it fixed the problem. The problem reared its ugly head again one more time a year later while I was trying to run oregon inlet. I had hardly any power, the swells were huge, I didn't have a self-bailing boat and I almost had a heart attack. It scared the me half to death. My engine sits too low on the boat so the problem will continue unless I can raise my engine. It hasn't happened again for over a year as I've been conscious about trimming the motor up whenever I can. Just a thought if it happens again.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sounds scary!!!! Glad you made it back in safe.My yamaha has 568 hours on it and has NEVER give me any trouble.She's still my girl!!;)
I wish TF had that 'Thread Jacked" icon a year ago.:jackthread:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bobby,

If Seaport was not able to solve your problem, I believe I may have the fix for you. I had almost the exact same problem with my yamaha, it is ethanol related. Give me a call and I will be glad to detail the fix.

Tom

424-3686

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
My honda has over 1500 hours and that was the first significant problem. I wasn't trying to jack a thread, I was just saying that the problem with the 115 could be electrical and it wouldn't be detected in a shop unless the mechanic took the boat out on the water. Sometimes mechanics will do that for free just to figure out the problem. Meet them on their time and offer a sandwhich or something. IF it's as simple as replacing the coils, you could do it in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Salmo is right. A good friend of mine has a f115 that would run fine and then start to sputter. If you turned the key off and restart it would run fine for a while. The problem was intermittant and he had it in the shop 2 times but nothing was found. He finally got fed up after the second "There's nothing wrong with your motor" diagnosis. He went out, motor started to sputter so he took the cowl off and started to pull on the harnesses. Come to find out, one of the engine harnesses was pulled too tight against the the motor and had chafed through and was grounding out. He would hit a wave and the motor would go into limp-home mode. No codes would store and the motor would run perfect most of the time. He did a little insulating on the harness and the motor has been perfect since. So if it happens again, take a look at the wiring harness on the powerhead. Chances are that his problem was not an isolated one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The way he described the engine having trouble over 3000 rpms sounds like
a fuel starvation problem. Yamaha's have had a common problem with a ultra
high micron filter located in, what is called on some models a vapor seperator on
other models the same assembly is called a fuel pump. The filter is about the size
of a silver dollar and seems to have problems with ethanol fuel. It seems that people
who use either ring free or startron minimize this problem as the additive acts as
a solvent and keeps this filter relatively gum free. Here is a link to another post
on this board with someone who had a similiar problem.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194326

Tom

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys.And nobody here hijacked my thread.Last year it was a problem.And I do use ring free,3m fuel system cleaner,and seafoam occationally.The fuel pump has a round strainer that snaps on the bottom of the pump.The pump is housed in the vapor seperator.I have heard from one of the cities that they had some problems with the strainer on the pump getting clogged.
Here is what I dont understand with the filtration on the engine.I heard that the engine mounted filter(looks like the paper one that gm used in carbs) is a 25-30 micron filter.The add on water seperating filter is 10 micron.I have been to the WIX filter institute and Baldwin Filter University.The primary filter should be the one that traps the 'nuts and bolts'(bigger contaminent) and seperates water.The secondary should trap very small contaminent or polish the fuel.If the primary filter is 10 micron and the secondary is 20-30 then the secondary is not really doing anything.However, you must be careful talking micron ratings because there are other things to consider.ie effeciency .
I just hope that the gremlins are gone.I will give a update when I test the Lady Nansea.

Bobby :boat:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yamaha is having problems with everything tey sell, Maybe they should spend more time testing thier Motors then trying to push them out the door. I for the life of me can't understand why legal action has not been taken against them.. If you research a little you'll see they are on alot of S$^%* lists

1 - 15 of 15 Posts