Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone fished the james between scottsville and bremo bluff? I will be doing a float there in june. never fished it. target lunker smallies thanks for any help

·
Registered
289 Posts
Don't know whether you're looking for more complicated methods (fly fishing, etc.) or something more simple. I've always found that a 1/8 oz. white round-head jig would catch everything that swims in that stretch of river, including smallmouths.

Paired with a white curly-tail such as http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops®-Squirmin-Grub/product/15633/-639360, I used to fish them on ultra-light spinning tackle with 6 lb mono. However, these days I use PowerPro instead of mono.

Just cast & retrieve - easy for anyone to master. Accurate casts help to get close to structure. You can also experiment with how much to let the jig sink. Snags will happen but that's fishing.

If you'd prefer to target larger smallmouth, we used to kill them with texas-rigged 4" worms. Brown (motor-oil) with an orange curly tail were the most productive. However, if you're not experienced with plastic worm fishing, it's not a lot of fun. But if you do have the "feel", then being able to cast a snagless-rigged worm across logs is a good way to find the bigger fish.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.