Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned yesterday that MD Dept. Environment is considering a proposal to dredge the upper-Severn River. I do not have many details at this time, except that the primary purpose appears to be to help boaters at the Indian Landing Marina and Pointfield Landing. While I'm always cautious about dredging projects due to the disruption that they can cause to the ecosystem, I have no opinion yet about this project since I lack details. I have some calls in, but I also want to alert those who live/fish in that area so that they can, if they choose, look into the matter and make up their own mind about it. Additionally, if you are currently involved in the project or know anything about it, please send me a b-mail. I'd like to talk with you. In turn, I will pass along what I learn to anyone who wants to be kept apprised of the project.

I understand that some informational meetings have already taken place in the surrounding neighborhoods. The relevant parties, including MDE, will also be presenting information to the Severn River Commission at 4pm next Thursday, January 8, at the Heritage AA County office complex off Riva Rd. in Annapolis (Severn River Commission). The public is welcome to attend.

P.S.: This is completely different than the Fox Creek dredging project that received quite a bit of press recently.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
I used to fish the area near and above Indian Landing.Over the past 20 years- it has silted in.What used to be 3-4 feet is now above water at low tide.I once had a 23 ' CC all the way up to the duck pond.Followed a rising tide.Now that would be tough in a Jon boat.

It has acted as a huge sediment pond but on very heavy rains- the silt gets stirred up and flushed farther out the river.

Wade up there in summer and you'll see oil sheen behind you.Your pants will be stained black as well.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is really bad. Although, I've canoed up there since '82 and it has always been so shallow that the canoe would get stuck at low tide (with monster carp pounding away at it). My friend once stepped overboard and his one leg quickly sank almost to his waist. Thankfully, his other leg was in the boat. Still, it took all the strength we could muster to get him back in (and he lost his shoe and sock). I'm actually surprised that nobody has died in that quick-mud.

On the other hand, air photos going back to '78 show that much of it has been exposed at low tied since at least back then. You also have the issue of whether the dredging will cause more problems than it solves by lossening and releasing a lot of bad stuff, or allowing power boats to access where only kayaks and canoes could go over the past three decades.

I'm anxious to learn more about it. I've only heard some very general impressions so far, and those have been positive.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used to canoe up there when I was in high school - thats 68-72 (yes I'm old). Had to drive out a very windy benfield road to get to ben oaks
I recall good water pretty far up. There has been a lot of development - and big time road construction since then. The silting is not surprizing, but I was startled when I ran the skiff up there last year and got into mud just around the first point (I think that's pointfield landing now - used to be woods)
Not sure about the dredging - It will not restore what it was. I can imagine a well done job could create some good environment, but I doubt they would do a good job and I am afraid of what the process would do to the spawning species up there.

Thanks for the alert Jeff

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts