Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon/late I noticed intense concentrations of birds working upstream of the "narrows" a little east of Indian Landing. Has anyone been fishing this? I was dying to be out there but was on family duty at a "Halloween roast/hayride"

S.T.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
shhhhhhhh!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks Scott, I personally have not, but I'm sure someone will be happy to check it out for you.....:D

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
My guess is the water is finally getting too cold for the baitfish and they are heading out to the bay-seeking warmer water.Sometimes the water cools so fast that baitfish go into a thermal shock and will swim in circles up on the surface.Birds love this :thumbup:.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Scott, I've made the trek over the past week and a half to that area and have witnessed what you saw with the hope of catching an abundance of fish...and one around 30".

I was up there again this morning. I wasn't marking many fish (none with any size to them), but the birds were constantly hitting the water to pick up baitfish. I have to believe it's what Skip mentioned. I guess the fish haven't found them yet.

I make dutiful checks of that area this time of year as I have had decent success up that way, but they just aren't there...yet.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Oh, they were there a couple weeeks ago. They move in and out. With that much bait, they'll be back. I've caught my biggest Severn fish there between Halloween and the first half of November. Although, with this very cold weather and rain, who knows what effect it will have.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
They move in and out.
Goose, I believe you. I normally start back at the marina and last marker and work my way out along the piers and shoreline...ending near your spots. Then work around Indian Landing, the islands, and both sides of Mathews Point.

Two years ago, the fish were in there good, but like you said, I believe that it was a little later than this.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I fished most of the morning yesterday from Sherwood Forest on up to Goose's Grounds. There wasn't much of anything going on. I'm glad hdrunk found something.

I want to say that some of my best "breaking rock" catches came, particularly in the Round Bay area, when I was freezing my a$$ off in both October and November. I would like to think, or hope, that we just aren't there yet.

I posted in another thread that the breaking fish (if that's what it truly is) in Round Bay have had no staying power. I can remember chasing birds for hours in years past, with what Clancy said, an occasional keeper mixed in. I wish jcfishhead would chime in as both he and I were doing alot of the chasing last year in the Round Bay area, and I remember him pulling a couple of 24's out of the mix.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
This goes back a few years but I've caught 24 inch Rock in the Severn in January - trying for Pike :thumbup:. Rock still bite in cold water :yes:.I think 55* is their favorite.

We saw some caught years ago on the Magothy- through the ice.Water temp. on the bottom was around 41*.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi guys
I got out for about an hour this evening. Twas a bit breezy! ( sustained in 20's, gust in 30's) Took the kayak.
Got one nice fish just over 21 inches. Nestled nicely in the lee. IT was real fat. Great red color on the belly.
there were some birds working hard in the middle of the river, but I was nt going there in my kayak in that wind at the edge of dark. I have some sense. I did beat into this stuff a while for a wtretch and surfed back, but no action - seemed to have a leaf or weeds on the hook much of the time though.
This bucktail is getting into the 40 fish range - and is a bit beat up. I think I need to clear some of the snarls.....

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nice work Dave. :thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was hoping one of you all might voluntarily illuminate me on the red belly, with out my having to grovel and actually ask!
Any insights out there?
This guy was as red as I have ever seen.
His stomach was actually emply, but he had lots of fat stores around his guts and liver, so he's been living well.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Embarassed that he was caught by that old white bucktail. :D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Don't think I don't have one tied on now. Compliments the Tony spoon. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts