Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Susq Buoy the turbidity at the mouth is 7.7 which seems high to me. Anyone have first hand knowledge on the current water conditions? Hate to make the 80 mile tow to HDG tomorrow to fish brown water. Your input is appreciated.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was in the Elk and Cabin John Sat. Water was good. The wind blew hard across the flats. May have stirred it up? I don't think you'll have brown water. Might be a good Sat pic available from yesterday as it was quite clear.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I fished the Susq. Saturday, the water was a little stained but very fishable. Caught 15 or so stripers (Kept a 26" and a 23") and 6 smallmouth up to 3lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tom...hope you caught some fish. Just looked at the Sat pic from yesterday and unless I'm looking at it wrong she looks a little brown up there...mostly coming from the NE river??

Nice catch SusqKing ...thanks.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I was on APG near Spesutie Island at the south end of the flats on Monday. There was an extremely low tide and the wind was blowing hard from the N and NW. As is always the case with low water and wind, the waves pick up a lot of sediment making the water very turbid from that combination. However, that was a couple of miles south of the river mouth. The mouth of the river and the upper end of the flats should not be as bad unless the incoming tide pushed the turbid water back up north. The extreme tides are supposed to continue for the next few days and if the N or NW winds continue, the turbidity will stay high at least down on the south end.

By the way, nice fish. I am itching to get out.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Mr Norris, very good info. The turbidity has jumped from 7.7 to 8.6 and if it gets much worse I guess I'll be saving some gas. Have to wait and see what the morning brings. Deer season will be putting a big dent into my fishing time so it might be another 10 days or so until I can attempt to make my next trip down thatta way....am looking forward to trying my new tuf-line, hevicore braid.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi Mike, I took a ride down to the N.E.on sat and it was a little muddy up their. I just fished from shore a little while and caught nothing. I hope your trip is worth while if you go. The susky was dirty also. good luck m,y friend AL

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You are welcome. I haven't decided if I am going to go out and freeze trying to see a deer or not. I need to thin them out some, they are eating all my plants and my garden unless I fence them. Good luck on the deer.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Al....will report on todays outing. Turbidity seems to be falling. Yep...gotta shoot them deer Jerry, they certainly can cause a lot of damage. Pretty yummy to boot...Heading out the door now :fishing2:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got home and am enjoying an ice cold Heineken. Water quality was better than expected, not great but definitely fishable. Wind & waves were worse than anticipated and we took a good pounding on the 15 mile run south in my 16' tin boat. Finally found some keeper sized fish that didn't mind eating my metal. Caught maybe a dozen 20" - 25", a few smaller ones and a handful of WP. Most fish were caught in 12 - 16' of water. The weather really settled down around 11 and made for a beautiful afternoon. As for the new line....it's ok, nothing more. Water temp was hovering around 46*. All fish caught were safely released.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts