Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Spaceweather.com

URSID METEORS: Earth is passing through a stream of debris from comet 8P/Tuttle and this is causing the annual Ursid meteor shower. Forecasters expect the Ursids to peak on Dec. 22nd with 8 to 10 meteors per hour flying out of the constellation Ursa Minor (the Little Dipper). The display is usually mild, but outbursts of Ursids occasionally surprise observers with rates many times normal.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks Popster, You haven't steered us wrong yet...I will check it out...The moon and 2 planets last time were the bomb !! My oldest and I watched it from different angles, both awesome..bill

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Of course, the best viewing for events like this in our area come when the outside temp threatens the masculinity of the brass monkey. Thanks for the heads up,(sorry) Dal.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Popster... my wife and I saw what looked like a VERY large white flare from the eastern sky last night about 6 or 630. I dont know where Ursa Minor was last night about that time, but it was spetacular. It ran along the sky over the treetops, and then fizzled out with red embers (for lack of a better term) continuing the trajectory, until it was completely black. It was remarkable because it seemed to have a linear trajectory (barely falling) like meteors, but it was WAY brighter than anything I have ever seen... was it one of these meteors?? Best guess??

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
twiskman, I believe what you saw was an earthgrazer, my favorite. They are absolutely amazing; you think you are in a Start Wars shoot-out. Did you duck? I have.

tolmaz,

Yep, the little dipper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts