Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BRUSSELS, May 1 (Xinhua) -- The European Union (EU) on Monday decided to impose 9.1 million U.S. dollars-worth in additional retaliatory sanctions on the imports from the United States, which had taken anti-dumping measures to protect its domestic companies.

The new sanctions will bring to 36.9 million dollars the total amount of the punitive tariffs payments incurred on U.S. imports in the 12 months from May 1, up from 27.8 million dollars in the previous 12-month period, according to a statement issued by the European Commission
Come on the USA is the greatest country on earth...we do not have to resort to this to compete do we? It explains some of the good economic news....unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The punitive 15 percent additional import duty would cover eight new products, including different types of blankets, paper products, photocopying apparatus and drills, according to the EU executive body.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Why are you presuming that american industry is guilty of dumping; because the EU says so? Dumping is usually a bogus charge made up to protect local industry, whether we do it or whether the EU does it. Nobody makes a products and sells it at a loss to make up the difference in volume....

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Clearly this is a bs charge.... The US doesn't make blankets, paper products, photocopying apparatus and drills.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
[Q]Fritzer originally wrote:
Why are you presuming that american industry is guilty of dumping; because the EU says so? Dumping is usually a bogus charge made up to protect local industry, whether we do it or whether the EU does it. Nobody makes a products and sells it at a loss to make up the difference in volume....
[/Q]

Well actually, that's not true...Right off the top of my head I can think of a classic dumping excercise by the Japanese during the Reagan administration that Harley-Davidson sought and recieved relief for...The Japanese were selling at a loss here, but it was great for American consumers.

Be that as it may, protectionist fines and tariffs by the EU, or anybody else for that matter, are just a hinderence to the free market. But the positive side is it appears we're competitive at producing goods of some sort...

This could just be a trade war tit for tat over French cheese for all we know...There's not enough information here...

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
[Q]Capt. Jim Brincefield originally wrote:
What if it were Budweiser, Marlboro's, and Trans Ams?
[/Q]
And what if it were, James? I would have no problem with that...

Suppose Philip Morris decided to make some inroads in China for example (Actually, they've already made huge inroads but if this board can entertain the likes of Fritzer what's facts, right?)

Anyway, so Philip Morris sells at a loss, maybe making up for it in another market, or maybe not, maybe just eating it figuring that they can take a beating longer than say, oh, Mao Tse Tung Lights and Regulars, Ltd.

So ol' PhilMo sells Marlboro Reds at a loss, every Li, Ho, and Wong drops thier Chairman Mao Little Red Packs for some cowboy killers, and the next thing you know Marlboro has increased market share dramatically while Mao Tse Tung Lights and Regulars, Ltd., is considering going into pirated CDs and Nike ghetto footwear knockoffs 'cause cigarettes be kicking their big Chinese butts (so to speak)...

Pretty neat, eh?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Not just pretty neat, but it sets up another opportunity.

I knew a guy from New York City who would make the cigarette run south 40 years ago. Compared to others in the same racket, he was small time and and lazy and made his buys in DC as opposed to continuing down to North Carolina.

I wonder how many cigarette cartons bound for China would end up on the US market?

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Heh, heh, they're down here right now, or they were anyway...Thing is the consumer isn't realizing much of a break in the deal, the folks farther up the food chain are raking in that doe, rah, me...

On the legit side of things companies sell at the margin while inflating other markets all the time...The very same Suzuki you can buy here costs almost twice as much in Jolly Old England (depending on whatever the exchange rate is doing), Australia too...That's not tariffs or surcharges or taxes, that's business...

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Well my ol' buddy Chumley I've gotta say I've never trusted those little yellow bastages anyway. Well, I do appreciate the water torture thing though. And the fried Cat Szechuan over noodles from the Who Flung Dung carryout down the street isn't half bad.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
[q]Well my ol' buddy Chumley I've gotta say I've never trusted those little yellow bastages anyway [/q]

What else can I say butttttt........ WOW!

There is a risky public statement.

·
10,897 Posts
Nuke 'em all and let God sort 'em out. I'm so f'n sick of everything and everybody. The U.S. has done more than than any other country in the history of the world to help other countries and all we get in return is BS.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
I say we shave Jim's back and sell him to the highest bidding rug merchant in Dubai for a beach party in the UAE and call it a day...

·
10,897 Posts
No, Chumley that would be product dumping, can't have that. Maybe we could market Gerald's fluids? Surely, an endless supply of the life giving waters?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts