Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in another thread while putting things away down in the Man Cave I found about a TON of 10", plastic, multi colors, bass worms. Here's my question. Has anyone out there ever taken a plastic worm and cut it up in, lets' say 3/8 inch pieces. Put the piece of worm on your gold #1 size hook, placing it on the shank of the hook, pushed all the way up the shank to the line eye. Then hook on a small minnow. What you would have is the color of the plastic worm and the flash of the live minnow. Sounds pretty deadly to me.:pp Don't know what a crappie would think, but I think I'll try it out this fall. Anyone use this combo? Thinking it would be a way to use up some of the worms I have.

Acey

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think it'll work, I think most tackle hooks the angler before the fish even gives it a thought. Especially if you drag a shiner behind it.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Should work, especially with the minnow. Locally, we take either an 1/16 or 1/8 oz. jig head and about an 1 1/2" section of plastic worm and fish it directly on the bottom in slow start and stop retrieves from fall through spring and catch lots of yellow perch and largemouth. During the winter, using a modified drop shot rig with two hooks and enough weight to get on the bottom and stay there will catch dozens of yellow perch a day with the same pieces of plastic worm .

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to the two of you for your input. After I wrote the above, I went down the man cave and took two John Deer Green plastic worms and cut them in pieces. I measured them along side a #1 gold hook and cut them so when slid up the shank of the hook to the line eye, they stopped short from passing the point of the hook. Did not want to interfere with the hook up. I then got down 4 rods from my rod storage rack. Checked the line on the reels and cut off about 8'. I then rigged two rods with two hooks each with a drop shot style with a slip knot and bobber. The other two rods I rigged with one hook, split shot and slip knot with bobber. I then installed the pieces of cut plastic worm onto the shank of the hooks. Hope to make a trip up to Buggs in a couple of weeks if the reports are looking good and we will see how they work.

Acey

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Acey, Check out these crappie spinner baits. I just got the mold about a month or so ago and made up the first batch. These are 1/8 oz. that I plan to use casting for white perch if the temperature ever gets decent enough so I can get out without roasting. I poured up a few 1/16's also but have only tied up one or two of them. I dipped the heads in a clear UV finish and the second picture is under a UV light. Some are dressed with glow in the dark "hair"-far left and lower right. Not sure why the two on the middle right don't show up more but they may be a couple that I did not put the UV finish on.

Out of curiosity, do you ever troll for crappie? Back in the day (1960's), my Dad and I would crappie fish Watauga Lake in eastern Tenn. He trolled for them exclusively in spring and early summer- tandum 1/8 oz. jigs tipped with minnows. At one time, there was a 30 fish per person per day limit on them. We would go early Saturday morning, fish all day Saturday, spend the night and fish again Sunday up til around noon or one o'clock. Usually we would come home with a two person limit of 120 fish for the two days. Of course then we had to clean fish for another four hours once we got home.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They looking good Jerry. I tried the long poles and moving but we never could get things together. Sold them year before last and kept the pole holders. Every now and then if the bite slows with the slip knot and bobber presentation we'll rig up a few 6' rods and troll around. We have found there are days the fish want a moving bait over a slow presentation.

Acey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts