Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI;

The USS FREEDOM is stopping at USNA on its maiden voyage from the Great Lakes to Norfolk, Va. It is open to the public tomorrow afternoon if anyone is interested. The message below was sent out at the Academy late this afternoon and there is an article in the Capital at:

Navy shows off new ship at academy - Naval Academy - (HometownAnnapolis.com)

USS FREEDOM (LCS 1) is visiting USNA. FREEDOM is the first Littoral Combat Ship to be built will be open for tours at the following times:

"Friday 12 DEC, 1230-1600 for General public, this includes faculty and staff. Freedom can accommodate a total of 1000 people during this time. If you wish to see the ship, they are moored at Faragut Seawall. Please be patient as the line is expected to be long.

Saturday 13 Dec, 1230-1600 for MIDSHIPMEN only. Freedom can accommodate 1000 Midshipmen during the afternoon. Uniform of the day is required.

Please take advantage of this opportunity to visit the newest platform our Navy has to offer. Like I said, this being the newest Naval Platform, there is high interest in this ship and we are expecting a lot of visitors. Please plan accordingly."

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
We saw her coming up the Bay on Wed when I was on a charter out of Solomons. She was flying along and kicking up a 5-6 ft wake, musta been doing a good 30 knots just cruising up the Bay. Impressive ship...makes you proud to be an American.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
As the article says, its a 400 foot armored jetski with a big gun on the front. Heres the cool part of the article, especially the stopping time....

The ship broke its own speed record coming into the Chesapeake Bay, topping more than 40 knots, Lt. Cmdr. Jarrett said, which is the equivalent of about 46 mph. Only three ship lengths are needed to fully stop.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Must have a pretty shallow draft too, I have seen plenty of Destroyers and cruisers anchored out, but never seen any tied up at USNA. Very impressive, although I don't know if I would want to be aboard her in angry seas. I spent a few years on a tin can and sailed through 2 named storms. Even with 30+ feet of draft it's not a comfortable thing to do.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Must have a pretty shallow draft too, I have seen plenty of Destroyers and cruisers anchored out, but never seen any tied up at USNA. Very impressive, although I don't know if I would want to be aboard her in angry seas. I spent a few years on a tin can and sailed through 2 named storms. Even with 30+ feet of draft it's not a comfortable thing to do.
Oh come on now, small boys is the only way to go, walking on bulkheads is a learned art though.:D
That new ship is certainly good looking, but its riddled with problems, Someone had the bright idea to award the contract to everyone and no one at the same time.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Littoral Combat Ship

If I'm not mistaken, the word "littoral" (as in LCS - Littoral Combat Ship) refers to the tidal zone area near shore.

This beauty was designed to operate in coastal and near-shore areas to provide close in naval support. What a striking piece of design! (No pun intended!)

Saltrodder
Annapolis

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Well, I am sure of one thing. 40 knots isn't her top speed. I was on a Spruance class can and at flank one we could do 33 knots and still had two more gears to burn. I never experienced flank 3 but was told by a ship engineer in Mississippi where she was built that she would probably top out around 41 or so. That was 563 feet with a 30ish foot draft. This thing has to be able to hit 55...

Yeah she's built for close shore support as the gulf area in the middle east can get too skinny for a traditional round keel to navigate. Gator navy ships have been flat bottom for decades, but you think a tin can bobs and spins....My cousin is a marine, says those assault ships take a beating in moderately rough seas...Imagine a 800 foot Carolina Skiff in 20 foot seas.....i think I will take a pass...

Just read this thing has a draft of about 12 feet......talk about rough at sea...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Your right about the weather, they've been sweating the sea coditions the whole way down from the Great Lakes. We've been writting their forecast for them everyday for the last month or so. This has been one of those high vis transits, the CNO was briefed everyday on their posit and what kind of seas they had. I'm glad they are in the Ches bay.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Imagine that first Trans Atlantic. 10 days of who knows what....not fun...

·
Registered
619 Posts
It is impressive technology, but a good example of "perfect is the enemy of good enough." It was designed to have a robust computing network that can automate most of the processes that are performed by people on traditional Navy ships. They only carry a crew of 40, and the engine room is unmanned underway. Interesting, they only have 2 cooks, and all hands, including the CO, wash their own dishes. They can only do an UNREP in dire emergency because they don't have enough line handlers. They can VERTREP, but you can't move fuel that way. I would not want to be aboard when they have to patch holes and put out fires.

Problem is that they need to onload several shipping container sized mission modules with the equipment to perform missions such as anti-submarine warfare or mine hunting. Like airplanes, the electrical equiment can cost more than the platform, and none of those modules have been fully designed or built yet. You know when budgets get tight (Hello President Obama!) the first thing to get cut is the expensive stuff that doesn't make the ship go. What do you have left? An overpriced go-fast ship that can't perform a useful mission.

BTW: It doesn't have screws, has 4 giant jet drives. They claim at full power they pump the equivalent of an olympic size pool every 3 seconds.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
So they can't refuel at sea? How the hell are they suppose to get gas? Pull up to the closest oiler and say check under the hood and filler up with JP5???

yep you are right, damage control with 40 people would be...interesting....But it's meant for shallow water...so i suspect land won't be far away...just a few hundred feet or less....straight down.....Sounds like the old Pegasus class hydrofoil. It had very limited capability and pretty much was relegated to hunting down drug runners between Key West and Cuba. I do believe that the Navy has been rife with white elephant ships over the years...I suppose R&D has to be done someway. Still, if the thing can't refuel easily at sea, and can't be easily refitted with what are yet to be designed and built modules it looks to me the Navy has built (and paid for) a 400 foot long jet ski...Might be fun for the Flag officers mess at whatever base the thing eventually get's perma tied to...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts