Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the limit gone up to two fish? I thought I read this a week or so ago that they were thinking of uping it . If not is it legal to catch your 1 rock in the bay and go in unload it and go outside the tunnel and catch two in the ocean?:fishing2:

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
its never ever been 1 fish in the month of Nov

there is 2 seasons right now bay and coastal - why not

IE: its 5 :15 am and you fish the CBBT and get 2 fish before work.......you get off at 3 pm and head out of Rudee and troll to Sandbridge.....pick up 2 fish in the 30's

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
C. It shall be unlawful for any person fishing recreationally to possess land and retain any striped bass in excess of the possession limit applicable for the area and season being fished within the 24-hour period of 12 a.m. through 11:59 p.m. Striped bass taken in excess of the possession limit shall be returned to the water immediately.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
C. It shall be unlawful for any person fishing recreationally to possess land and retain any striped bass in excess of the possession limit applicable for the area and season being fished within the 24-hour period of 12 a.m. through 11:59 p.m. Striped bass taken in excess of the possession limit shall be returned to the water immediately.
so the answer is YES you can .....just NOT 2 from the bay in the morning and 2 more from the bay in the afternoon .....or 2 from the ocean and 2 more from the ocean later the same day.....

gets dressed and out of your jammies TonyD ......lets go - NOW ( Catfishing ) NO wind No rain in the 23860 zip code till 4 pm

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Jamie,

I beg to differ....I have made several calls on the issue and it is a 24 hour posession law. Grant it I know you said two in the morning and two in the evening from the ocean but posession is posession. If the man came by your house he can't tell a bay striper from an ocean one.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Combining limits from different areas. . . Legal . . . No. .

4VAC20-252-50. Concerning recreational fishing: general.
D. It shall be unlawful to combine possession limits when there is more than one area or season open at the same time.

24 hour possession when you take fish home in the middle. . .

Difficult to prove in court. . . YES . . . Legal . . . NO

Do you want to poach or do you want to fish within the law.

There are lots of ways to break the law and get away with it. Each individual has to choose if they are going to do so. Somewhere along the line ethics comes into play.

some real examples.

fishing inside the bay and catch a 35" fish. Go outside and catch a 29 inch fish to fill your coastal limit. . . legal.

Fishing outside the bay catch a 29 inch fish. On the way back stop to fish for schooling fish. . . illegal

Fishing outside the bay two people on the boat. Catch 3 fish 35 inches long. On the way back stop to fish for schooling fish . . . illegal.

Fishing outside the bay two people on the boat catch 4 fish over 28 inches. Run back to the dock inside the bay without stopping to fish. . . legal

Charter boat goes out with 6 passengers, a mate and a captain. Keeps 16 fish . . . legal.

Same boat goes out for an afternoon trip 6 different passengers, same mate, same captain. Keeps 16 fish. . . illegal . . . the captain and mate have already landed their daily limit of two fish.

·
Registered
563 Posts
And if you didn't read the link that FinaddictMike posted, that is two fish, 18" to 28", one of which may be 34" or larger until Dec. 21st., when it goes to one fish. That means you can catch one small fish, one big fish, or two small fish, and there is a no keep "slot" from 28" to 34". This is for the Va. portion of the Chesapeake Bay until Dec. 21st, when you can catch one fish, which may be under or over the "slot".

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Jamie,

I beg to differ....I have made several calls on the issue and it is a 24 hour posession law. Grant it I know you said two in the morning and two in the evening from the ocean but posession is posession. If the man came by your house he can't tell a bay striper from an ocean one.
what about the 2 DOZEN packs already in my freezer ? were they all yesterday or some from back in march ?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Jamie,

what about the 2 DOZEN packs already in my freezer ? were they all yesterday or some from back in march ?

but as stated ::

4VAC20-252-50. Concerning recreational fishing: general.
D. It shall be unlawful to combine possession limits when there is more than one area or season open at the same time.

Kills any chance of that morning bay VS afternoon ocean trip I guess - I am too fat and tired after 1 trip anyway !!

PS> Tony & I DID go upriver and catfish all day in the pouring rain !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts