Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never have understood why this is so important centuries later but somebody seems to think it is. Our legislature passed it almost unanimously. I readily admit that I don't see the point but if it makes somebody feel better I don't guess it hurts anything.

Anything else we should apologize for while we are at it?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I'm not so sure it doesn't hurt anybody. I expect there to be claims for reparations popping up all over the place now. I'm darned sure that none of my relatives or my wife's on either side had anything to do with slavery and I don't want my tax dollars going to some people who never were personally effected by the system to begin with. It's just another shake down move if you ask me.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, let's get real. Whatever they passed is not evidence. It is certainly not as much evidence as the historical records of slavery already located in courthouses across the commonwealth.

There is no legal precedence to allow for reparation settlements and it is not permitted by the state constitution which is very clear that debts cannot pass beyond the value of the estate at the time of death. The legal work which would be required to prove the value at the time of death and those who were actually slave holders would far surpass the possible awards. Unless somebody rewrites the laws it isn't going to happen.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Slavery existed. It existed in the State of Virginia. It was supported by legislature in the State of Virgina therefore the State of Virginia apologizes for its part in slavery.

I think that the State of Virgina :thumbup: :clap:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I'm getting the obvious impression that some of you disagree with the VA decision......

Many people alive today suffered directly from slavery, no they were not slaves themselves but suffered as a direct result of the years of slavery with the subsequent discrimination......the 50's and 60's were not that long ago folks. IMO that was just a pc attempt at closure.

Tony

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Read more closely. Va. has "expressed regret" for slavery. Newswriters everywhere are calling it an "apology". There is quite a difference.

I regret the Holocaust and Katrina but I'm not apologizing for either.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Dave, let's get real. Whatever they passed is not evidence. It is certainly not as much evidence as the historical records of slavery already located in courthouses across the commonwealth.

There is no legal precedence to allow for reparation settlements and it is not permitted by the state constitution which is very clear that debts cannot pass beyond the value of the estate at the time of death. The legal work which would be required to prove the value at the time of death and those who were actually slave holders would far surpass the possible awards. Unless somebody rewrites the laws it isn't going to happen.
It's close to being the same thing as admitting guilt at the scene of an automobile accident...An admission of guilt to the other party isn't evidence either, but there is a reason why your insurance company doesn't want you to do it...it sets up thr mindset for litigation...I think you are going to find this opening up the door for calls for reparations across Virginia. Other states are watching to see just what happens...And I don't want to see my tax dollars going to pay people for something that happened so long ago...

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK, and how do you propose that they deal with the legal issues concerning damages?

How does someone who was born 8 generations out of slavery prove damages resulting from their parents?

How does one get over the legal hurdle that by the time Virginia became a state the importation of new slaves had all but ceased in Virginia? In other words, it was not Virginia that enslaved people but England.

Virginia inherited slavery and English common law that permitted it. We were not far enough along as a society in our civility to fully understand the evil that was (is) slavery. Also prior to 1776 many of the rights that we today take for granted did not exist. Does one sue based upon the laws of 2007 or those of 1707? Which should apply?

An additional point is who gets the reparations? How many black families can successfully trace their ancestry and prove their slavery. It is legally not enough for someone to be black. One would have to be able to prove their slavery. After all, even in South Carolina by the mid-19th century 1 in 10 free blacks held slaves. Would it be fair to give the slave holders a reparations check for being slaves themselves? Certainly not!

Finally, forced reparations will begin a racial civil war in the United States that will make the War Between the States look like the picnic that Washington DC elitist thought they were going to see at Bull Run. No one is dumb enough to go there.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Besides, the slaves had such a good health care plan...

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TH and Fritzi, these things could make for interesting dialog if you would be willing to look at the facts and get over the knee-jerk reaction. Look at how quickly somebody brought up reparations in this thread. People are thinking about it. However, I have yet to see anyone who has thought it all the way through. I have tried to think of the issues but I don't have a good enough mind to understand all the legal and social implications. I can see some pitfalls but I'm no lawyer. It also doesn't help that few people seem to know their history concerning 18th century America.

Some of these very issues were debated and written about by the Founders with little successful resolution. Some would say that the whole slavery issue was the single largest failing of the nation's formation. I think that might be true as well but what is currently called "contemporary scholarship" seems to be more interested in being pc and using todays standards to judge history than it is in dealing with what was. It is confusing.

Woodrow Wilson wrote a book on the subject of reconstruction. I have downloaded it and hope that it is not written over my head. It is long however and I don't like reading the computer screen for days on end.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
"How does someone who was born 8 generations out of slavery prove damages resulting from their parents?"

8 gens out of slavery people were still oppressed as a direct result of slavery:censored:

"How does one get over the legal hurdle that by the time Virginia became a state the importation of new slaves had all but ceased in Virginia? In other words, it was not Virginia that enslaved people but England."

You've outdone yourself.......blame it on England:nono:

"Virginia inherited slavery and English common law that permitted it. We were not far enough along as a society in our civility to fully understand the evil that was (is) slavery. Also prior to 1776 many of the rights that we today take for granted did not exist. Does one sue based upon the laws of 2007 or those of 1707?"

If you were to inherite a smelly relative you would make him/her take a bath? Of course not, it was the fault of the people that he just left..............

"An additional point is who gets the reparations? How many black families can successfully trace their ancestry and prove their slavery. It is legally not enough for someone to be black. One would have to be able to prove their slavery. After all, even in South Carolina by the mid-19th century 1 in 10 free blacks held slaves. Would it be fair to give the slave holders a reparations check for being slaves themselves? Certainly not!"

The defense attorney will always attempt to toss the smokebomb.:yawn:

"Finally, forced reparations will begin a racial civil war in the United States that will make the War Between the States look like the picnic that Washington DC elitist thought they were going to see at Bull Run. No one is dumb enough to go there."

Black people have been on the short end of the stick for years..... nothing new. What civil war are you talking about? Only civil war I see on the horizon is the mexicans deciding to take more than the clowns in DC want to give them.:boat:

Tony

1 - 20 of 83 Posts