Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VA Board says;

"Well, last evening while eating dinner at the restaurant on Bennetts creek in Suffolk, a commercial boat shows up in the marina, I guess from the Nandsmond or the M&M area and unloads a boat that FILLS a pickup truck with full size plastic garbage cans full of BIG striper. I knew the fish came back up to spawn but that was the first time I`ve seen the fish back in this area first hand. "

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
I thought that the commercial guys can't keep big Stripers (36-inch max?).

·
Registered
123 Posts
They keep em all in VA.... No max size... the keep em unteil they fill everybodys licence they know. Kinda sick isn't it.

Licence wise- it is just like MD there are people in MD and VA that have commerial rockfish licence that don;t own or lease or work on a boat. Hell what does a TFL Sell for in Md now..... 10000 to 15000 now i think. for a $350 per year state issued licence.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
In Virginia, the commercial hook & liners are allowed 175 tags for the whole season. They usually wait for the big ones to show up to use their tags. Why tag a small fish when you can tag a big fish.

In Maryland, you can have all the tags you want, but you can keep 800#s a week, regardless of size, as long as they are between 18 - 35".

Ele

1 - 5 of 5 Posts