Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I hunted New Jersey's opener a couple of weeks ago near Egg Harbor. We got three Black Ducks and a couple of Mallards. My puppy did great which I was happy about. New Jersey does not regulate duck blinds. They use the 'first come first serve rule' and common ethical courtesy and ettiquite. Imagine that. I find it appalling that we have to license our boats and blinds and that gives us the right to tie up public water. And the kicker is, the eastern shore counties of Virginia do not. Someone please explain that to me? If anyone agrees or disagrees with me, I'd like to hear both sides. No one has ever been able to convince me that these laws aren't arbitrary and useless. Anyway, I hunt from a floating blind and I'll be out tomorow morning. Safe hunting everyone!

Dave

·
Registered
582 Posts
They do keep a rubberhead from setting up 50 yds from you and shooting at your swing birds. Get out and scout then you'll be an evil fixed blind owner scoffing at the new guy in the floater.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ever had a blind set up 300 yards from your house ? The rules are set up to prevent geeching on your spot ( as boondoggle stated so well ) and protect the landowners from blasting. Due to a lack of housing density, ES does not need this. It's a good rule, and there are plenty of opportunities for floating in areas where no one goes. I floated for 10 years before settling on a stationary. Started hunting deer and turkey when I moved to VA and have not spent much time hunting ducks since then, but we have two stationary blinds on the Rapp and use them well with no one getting into the swamp that we lease.

Feeshon Aboard the Jezebel II

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I can respect that. What I really have a problem with is offshore blinds clutterring up the shoreline, and landowners who put blinds on thier property, for the sole purpose of keeping people out of public water. I think there needs to be a compromise. IE: if the blind is occupied, then the encroachment rule would be in effect. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
They own the land not the water. I talked to the man last year and as long as your feet are wet sorry bout their luck. If they don't want to deal with boats, hunters and fisherman they shouldn't buy on the water. This is GODS land and everyne has rights to it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Shag Nasty,
If I am not mistaken, you can put a blind up in front on someone's house but the next year a property owner has first dibs in front of his property and can keep you out. I had a friend of mine build a blind a few years ago and could only hunt it one year b/c he was close to a home owner and the home owner decided to take it over. I think there is something about the depth of water or something about that. It has been awhile since I have looked at the regs

·
Registered
45 Posts
regulations regulations i think the rules suck too but 500 yrds from another is a long way i hunted the other day outside bennetts creek mouth out side a marsh on the water, set up decoys ring necks and scoters. and had a ball three gadwalls came by and three ringnecks and a bunch of buffs thanks to my awefull shooting they live another day but had fun and proud of the of the set up i had and them decoying, but had a kill joy come over and said i couldnt hunt near the marsh and that i was too close to his blind hell i was probally 400yds away i thought i was far enough away but i guess not, basically i was shooting the birds coming out the marsh heading to his blind and was probbly mad about it to say the least the laws give rights to wealthy land owners that have WATER FRONT PROPERTY over us poor slobs that dont have a whole lot of money that just want to get a little enjoyment out of li fe and yes i know go to public land to hunt but locally ragged island doesnt have boat ramp for a twelve foot boat hopefully one day i,ll have boat big enough to go where i want to hell with em. "quack kills"[tongue]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Guys help me here, this is something I was thinking about the other day.

If I have a licensed floating blind, can I secure the blind support stakes or material in the shallow water around the boat, or does all the blind have to be secured to the boat? Im not tlking about building something to be left behind, but to suppliment my camo on the boat.

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
albemarle, as long as the material isn't attached to your boat, you don't need a floating blind license. You may however, need a stationary shore blind license, that's the problem with this state, it depends on which game warden you talk to. Getwood, I've hunted there before and had good luck. Stand your ground. If you think your far enough away, tell him he's impeding a lawful hunt.

·
Registered
45 Posts
shag nasty thanks for the encouragement i might go there again monday since i work swing shift and weekends probably wont anybody be there saw some brant and a huge raft of red heads i believe or rudy ducks behind tcc today from a distance some other duck hunters were in the plyings hunting from a float blind and probably 250 yds from a stationary blind hemm makes me wonder sometimes[wink] thanks again good luck shoot in em in the ass or face that is[grin]

·
Registered
423 Posts
In currituck sound in NC you cant put up a new stationary blind period. someone has to give one up or die in order for it to become available. then your name goes in a hat along with everyone else. float blind license are the same way and you apply each year for one the problem is there are 80 other people applying for 2 license a year. if you are a resident it will be 35.00 non refundable. If you are out of state the cost is 350.00 non refundable. You cant tie a float blind within 500 yards of a licensed blind or it WILL cost you 130.00 ticket!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'M IN MD. AND WITH FLAT DUCK IF YOU CAN WATER SKI, FISH,CRAB,GO SWIMMING IN PUBLIC WATERS WHICH NOBODY OWNS WHY CAN'T WE HUNT THERE .AS LONG AS THE BOAT FLOATS AND YOUR IN PUBLIC WATERS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO HUNT AS LONG AS YOUR THE 150 YDS.FROM A OCCUPIED DWELLING AND IF THERES A BLIND ALREADY THERE AND NOBODY IS IN IT BY SAY 7AM IT PUBLIC (OFFSHORE ONLY) ON SHORE AGIAN AS LONG AS THE BOATS FLOATING YOUR GOOD
OTHER STATES OUR SIMILAR TO THESE RULES AND THEY DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS
IT'S NOT JUST VA'S BLIND LAWS MD. HAS THERE ISSUES ALSO
I FEEL FOR YOU BROTHER
GOOD HUNT'N
GEORGE Z

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Shag - technically you are correct and you can put a stationanry wherever you want as long as the time period that landowner's get to put theirs up has expired ( usually around September 1.) But, and I say this from my own experience, that same landowner can post your blind if you get it for one year after he discovers that you are blasting away. I decided after this happened to me that I don't need to spend valuable weekends erecting blinds for others. And he can call the man every time you huntand drive you crazy with interruptions. I also say this from experience and this will make your time on the great outdoors less enjoyable and make anyone that you take uncomfortable. So, I submit that you find a place, and there are still a lot of them where you can stay outside of the 500 and find some ducks without impacting others and it will be a more serene and productive way to spend time on the water. The best hunting spots are always hard to get to and if you go further intom any swamp or public land, you will find ducks there and no one else competing. Addressing others on the water while hunting is not something that I want to do anymore, people are just too crazy these days and you don't know where it might lead. I agree that landowner's ( and I am not one ) do post bogus permits but I can't say I blame them for doing so. If I owned shore property, and wanted to sleep past 6:20, I would do the same. The difference is that I would hunt from them. I think that the law changed this year to prevent these bogus blind permits though.

Feeshon [grin]

·
Registered
3 Posts
[Q]Shag Nasty originally wrote:
albemarle, as long as the material isn't attached to your boat, you don't need a floating blind license. You may however, need a stationary shore blind license, that's the problem with this state, it depends on which game warden you talk to. Getwood, I've hunted there before and had good luck. Stand your ground. If you think your far enough away, tell him he's impeding a lawful hunt.
[/Q]

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/Q]

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/Q]You need to quit hunting in the gray area!![angel] Also you need to beat the ****** out of Misty if she does not stay in the blind (boat). Love Misty's sister Maggie!!!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
[Q]Albemarle24 originally wrote:
Guys help me here, this is something I was thinking about the other day.

If I have a licensed floating blind, can I secure the blind support stakes or material in the shallow water around the boat, or does all the blind have to be secured to the boat? Im not tlking about building something to be left behind, but to suppliment my camo on the boat.

Thanks

Eric
[/Q]

Eric, What you mentioned would be a stake or slip blind and must be licensed as a stationary blind even if you pick up the stakes after each hunt.
Ragarding Va's blind laws, thet are steeped in tradition and stem the the have and have nots. Prime waterfowl area's are very valuable and the landowners and wealthy hunters have protected their interests well. If you think Va blind laws are restrictive to "outsiders, you should see Currituck County NC. I can assure you the laws were not designed to protect landowners from hunters erecting blinds, but rather protect the value of prime waterfowl hunting locations. Virginia's public land blind laws are not fair by any measure to the " public", but are better now than they were 30 yrs ago.
On the positive side, think about the guys who invests the time and energy to scout, build a nice blind, and then have some smuck set up 100 yds from them. Just this week, I was reading on another forum of a guy hunting in Jersey and had 2 different groups set up within 100 yds on both sides of him--- I sure wouldn't want that.
Right or wrong, I don't see things changing much any time soon in Va. BTW the blind laws only apply east of I95 ( except in Accomack and N. Hampton Counties as stated)

·
Registered
15 Posts
getwood, if you have handheld GPS or can borrow one, recommend you get out on the water on a Sunday and mark 500 yds from the stationary blind in question to a position for your floating blind. I did this on the James up near Richmond to try and find a spot that was 500 yds from some of the blinds erected by landowners to lock out hunters. Easy to do, works good to make sure you are legal.

John

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.