Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us complain about gas prices, fishing license prices and ramp fees. What does is cost the state to process a fishing citation? All release citations are on an honor system as could be the catch citations. Why not make a citation a downloadable form from the state and we fill in our information on the citation fish? It would save the state much money that could go to ramp upgrades and things we need to improve in the fishing community. I haven't recieved one from VA in quite a few years, but have received 2 for NC in the last 3years that were just fancy paper ones. There was a thread recently that posted the number of citaions VA had last year, I would think the real time cost would be at least $10 if not $20 or more. I am sure this topic will have many opinions , but I just thought the topic was worth putting out to all of you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well, think of how much money we put forth for license each year and not everyone who buys a license catches a citation. The citation is a reward for a hard earned honorable catch, i think the leat they could do is send us a nice looking plack. I highly doubt the state would put forth any money they already do for ramps etc. The extra money saved would probably go toward increasing VMRC staff to keep up with the ample amounts of idiots who get all the info they need to go fishing and where from this board but dont look up the regulations. They already turned the license into crappy paper that we may an arm and a leg for id hate to get rewarded with another piece of that crappy paper for catching a citation

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but, I do believe that the cost comes from our fishing license funds; therefore, it does not cost the state a dime.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Yes, the fishing license fund does pay for the citation awards program. If you register a weight citation it must be done on a VSWFT certified scale and witnessed by an eligible weighmaster. For a release citation you must have a witness sign your form in front of an eligible weighmaster. You can register for a release citation without a witness if you have a photo of the fish on a measuring device and it's being measured properly...in other words... the fish is laying flat ON TOP of a tightly stretched measuring device.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, i'm with you on this one. A piece of paper would be fine, but if they really want to spend the $, why not give out a T-shirt, hat, nail clippers, bait knife, beverage cozy, etc. instead a plaque. I hang the thing in very conspicuous places in my house just to piss off the wife at this point. I also use them as battery coasters over the long winter. Any other good ideas as to how to use the plaques?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
In addition, I don't believe the tackle store/weighmaster is reinbursed for their efforts.

In Maryland this is an issue because fish are weighted in at the end of the day, on the way home. Often clients are just given directions to a tackle shop by on their way home by the Charter Capt. The tackle store owner thus gets very little business from all these efforts.

I've discussed this with Rick, owner/operator of Rick's Marine just north of Point Lookout many times. Rick takes photo's for which he doesn't charge, and can spend an hour or two on busy days verifying information and documenting - then issuing the citation. Finally, the citation is logged into a state data base. Most people don't know this is a service, and often drive off without even a thanks.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I think if you talk to most tackle shop owners you'll find that issuing citations does bring them business in. Even after the charter trip, especially if they carry the same tackle that was used on the charter to catch fish. No tackle shop is forced into being an official weigh station and can withdraw out of the program at anytime if they don't feel like it's worth it to them or their customers.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
plaques

Yeah, i'm with you on this one. A piece of paper would be fine, but if they really want to spend the $, why not give out a T-shirt, hat, nail clippers, bait knife, beverage cozy, etc. instead a plaque. I hang the thing in very conspicuous places in my house just to piss off the wife at this point. I also use them as battery coasters over the long winter. Any other good ideas as to how to use the plaques?
If you don't like the plaques don't bother registering it. I for one think they are nice looking. If I could change one thing about them I would add a corner or part of it that has a picture of the species of the fish caught. This could be covered by an actual picture of the fish if available.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Battery Coasters!!!!

What type of dumb statement is that. I guess its your money though, so you do with the plaque as you please. Anyone with atleast 1 grain of brain cells woulden't register the fish, but take a picture and continue the day as planned. I also bet any amount of money that if you caught the biggest fish of the year you would be at the banquet smiling in Claudes face happily excepting the citation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Virginia has the nicest citation certificate, and program bar none. Claude has done us proud in the past years. Why change something. As for using the plaques. If you can't use one don't apply. The plaque or certificate.... Oh yeh you get a choice, is for the angler to have something to recognize a worthy catch. I guess next you guys will want to do away with the junior angler program.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like 'spinnerbait's' idea - down load a form and print individually, minimal administrative costs required - - would certainly save a lot of $'s for administrative costs, record keeping, printing, mailing, scale certification, etc. -
Or, require a fee (say $50.00/100.00) for each application - pay-as-you-go, and would be funded by those who use it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
2 brand new posters stirring the pot a little?

Use the citation for a battery coaster? Is that outside the outhouse or next to the car rolled up on its side with the barking dog tied to it?

If you dont want the plaque dont register the fish.

Some like and some dont.

In this case WGAF.

White giraffes are fierce..

Come on back and complain a little more please as it gives us something good to read on cold rainy days.

Capt Lyle

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As you guys might notice on here noone says i got a citation plaque, they always refer to it as paper! And once again I state releases are all on an honor sytem, so why couldn't weight citations be too! Take your form from online with a picture of that species on it and go to a trophy shop and have it mounted anyway you see fit. I still believe the money that we put into this could be used for better things or at least not another hike in license fees which some of you have complained about in numerous threads. The thrill of catching a citation fish far outweighs the little paque on the wall in the mans room which very few people ever see, you get more recognition by posting your result here on Tidal Fish!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Big Papa, someone sees my point!

Capt Lyle if you are referring to me as a new poster that is because this is my first post on the new site, I have been posting fishing reports on the old site for about 3 years!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting

Lot's of interesting replies to this post. I don't have an opinion one way or another on the plaque issue (if you like them, get them) but I would like to see how much is spent on the program each year. It is our money and it would be nice to see what it's spent on. Only then could someone make a suggestion on something better to allocate the funds towards. Let's just all keep catching paper size fish whether you register them or not.
Rick

1 - 20 of 42 Posts