Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am intrested in doing a little duck hunting this year,I havent been in years.I am a member of 3 clubs which all have swamps.One particular farm is my uncles farm with swamp on to farms of his.My question is do you need a blind licence to build a small blind in a swamp on private land wether its leased or families?My son wants to hunt some woodies,black ducks and mallards which all these places are full of them at certain times so just seeing how much time and and effort it will take to get something going.

·
Registered
308 Posts
No. "The owners of riparian rights or their invitees shall not be required to obtain a stationary blind license when hunting waterfowl from such a blind located on the riparian owner's property."

But, if the swamp has a creek or stream down the middle of it that is considered "public water" then other people can hunt from the area that is considered "state owned bottom". To keep people out of your spot you can license a blind on your property and nobody can hunt within 500 yards of your blind.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/waterfowl/waterfowl-blind-laws.asp

·
Registered
533 Posts
If the water is accessable by public water then theoretically one could hunt within 500 yards of a unlicensed blind in a float blind. If that person gets out of his boat for any reason he would be tresspassing. To protect your ability to hunt get blind licenses so that the entire area is protected by the 500 yrd rule.
Riparian Rights allow you to have preference over all who desire to build a blind.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the water is accessable by public water then theoretically one could hunt within 500 yards of a unlicensed blind in a float blind. If that person gets out of his boat for any reason he would be tresspassing. To protect your ability to hunt get blind licenses so that the entire area is protected by the 500 yrd rule.
Riparian Rights allow you to have preference over all who desire to build a blind.
Thanks East duck,I should be good.The swamps I will be hunting with the exception of one is not acessable to the public.You couldnt get a boat in there if you wanted too.I would say the swamps I could walk across last week will be full by the first season.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts