Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even though the Rockfish season has begun, the fact that VA was under quota for last year has inspired recreational anglers to ask that the Rules and Regs be re-visited.

The VMRC (today) will consider a recommendation that came out of the Finfish Subcommittee meeting last night. I stayed for only part of the Finfish meeting; only for that subject to be discussed.

After Staff made their reccommendations, I was impressed when the members of the Finfish Committee decided to take a step beyond the suggestions from Staff and moved (and passed) that VMRC today consider opening the entire season to 2 rockfish per man per day.

So it will be interesting to see what VMRC decides as final rules and regs for the remainder of the rockfish season. (inside the Bay, the sason will end Dec 31st).

The charter captains took the lead in asking that the old rules allowing two fish per day per person be restored. The charter captains came out in-force for a different issue: for the proposal to issue a Virginia guide license (which Maryland already has, but Va does not) = to resolve the problem up north between Maryland charters and VA charters...I am sure Finfish handled that in a similar , professional way. ( I left the meeting early).

I have often been critical of Finfish and the way they work so hard, but do not get much accomplished, but the members of the Committee deserve a compliment ...they did a great job last night and I was very proud of the way Ernie Bowden and the committee members handled themselves last night during the the hour that I was in attendance>

The news will get out soon whatever VMRC decides this afternoon.

Bob Allen PSWSFA & VCAC .

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
It was a very long meeting.

The new "guide license" is a big deal. If you are or ever plan to be a charter boat captain, you need to get up to speed on this now.

Commercial sea bass is also a pretty big deal but the guys who are active in that are already aware of that. They are looking at a 45% reduction in quoto for 2009.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
So whats the verdict on the 10th of Dec ? 1fish 2 fish you know what we wish~ I called the office but lewis wont be back in until tomorro.............

·
Registered
337 Posts
The verdict is 1 fish December 21-31. The vote for 2 fish the month of December failed on a tie vote. VMRC received only 17 comments on question of the 2 fish for the month of December. Maybe the next time that the fishery regulations come up we can get more people to send in comments with a more favorable outcome.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
The verdict is 1 fish December 21-31. The vote for 2 fish the month of December failed on a tie vote. VMRC received only 17 comments on question of the 2 fish for the month of December. Maybe the next time that the fishery regulations come up we can get more people to send in comments with a more favorable outcome.
So I guess our VMRC officials lack the ability to reason and think for themselves. This seemed like a no brainer but I guess they needed more love letters since they can't reason for themselves. Guess I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I guess that made up my mind to pull the boat out of the boatel after the month of nov.
If they had returned it to a two fish limit I was going to extend my stay another month..

I'm sure they aren't concerned but they are costing alot of people alot of money....

I would of thought with the month of Oct. being a complete dud it would have leaned
them toward opening up Dec....

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It bothers me that the discussion and recommendation from Finfish Advisory committee did not take place until the day before the VMRC was to vote on the final 2008 rules and regs. Three weeks ago, I had sent a letter into VMRC asking for 2 fish the first half of December. I compliment the FinfishCommittee for pushing the envelope and asking that we be allowed to keep 2 fish the entire month of Dec...

But I am a little out of joint that no one had the opportunity to know what had been decided at Finfish and had absolutely no time to digest or write support to VMRC Commissioners on the proposal coming out of the Finfish Committe meeting on Monday night...

With an entire year for fisheries managers to come up with the 2008 Virginia Rockfish Rules and Regs, .....This subject of deciding what the rules and regs shall be after the season has been open for one month is a little late to say the least. What kind of input does VMRC expect when we find out what is being discussed a few hours before the VMRC meets to make a final rule??

It is getting worse every year. Flounder is the same...the managers wait until the very last minute...often after the last minute--that is, oftern , after the season is open to decide the rules and regs for the year????

Bob Allen PSWSFA & VCAC

·
Registered
337 Posts
Part of the problem with rockfish this year was getting the final data on the catch from the Feds. Hopefully, with the new changes with the system of collecting the catch data things will get better.

Summer Flounder is coming up next with the first meeting of the VMRC appointed ad hoc summer flounder advisory committee scheduled for December 19th. ASMFC does not meet to consider those plans until February 2009. Watch out for the possibility of a coast wide regulation that was proposed last year and which will probably come up again.

Maybe with the Summer Flounder new regulations for 2009, the saltwater fishing community will respond to the information that will be put out about the pending regulations and we can get more input to VMRC than we were able to produce with rockfish with only 17 individual comments sent in to VMRC. If we could have gotten hundreds of comments in favor of 2 fish for all of December, the outcome could have been different.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Frank: What did the Virginia Council of Angling Clubs ask for so
far as 2 fish vs. one fish?
Were they represented at the meeting?
According to the minutes of the meeting the Portsmouth and Penninsula
clubs both supported a 2 fish limit for Dec. Also the Charter boat membership
wanted a 2 fish limit. These memberships represent more than 17 people that
commented.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Commissioners voting for 2 fish all month: Bowman, Shick, Holland and Bowden. Against: McConaugha, Fox, Tankard, and Laine. Interestingly, the commercial commissioner (Bowden) voted FOR and the recreational commissioner (Laine) voted AGAINST.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Warbird ask if the VA Council of Angling Clubs was represented or had an opinion. The VCAC is just what the name implies: it is a council of the officers of all the angling clubs in VA. VCAC does not take an official position. Each Club is encouraged to take those matters discussed by VCAC and each Club is then encouraged to contact the VMRC directly with their opinions. In that manner there is no upper echelon of annointed leaders influencing the VMRC , ASMFC or NMFS. Do not expect VA Council of Angling clubs to make reccommendations. IF the fisheries agencies are to receive input from the Clubs, it is up to the Fisheries managers to publicize fisheries issues and provide sufficient time for Clubs to digest the issue and post comments to the Fish managers. The VMRc had an ad hoc rockfish committee to help VMRC come up with agreeable rules and regs this year ....just as Finfish Committtee is expected to contribute. I think the ad-hoc committee never even had a meeting to discuss the options. And Clubs were never allowed to digest the 2008 recommendations on this issue as Finfish Committee made a recommedation one night and VMRC voted the next day.

The Flunder 2009 ruls and regulation issue is coming up in the next couple of months and if VMRC is unable to get the information necessary to make a comment in a timely manner, the same problem will repeat: that is, there will be little or no time for the recreational fishing clubs to discuss the proposals for flounder rules and regs and digest=and make constructive comments.

Waiting as long as they (VMRC managers) did to discuss the Rockfish 2008 rules and regs was a travisty. The season was well under way when discussions began.????

Bob Allen , Hampton VA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts