Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Butcher all my deer out on the deck in Arlington, Va. (Neighbors have two choices, love me, or fear me) Anyways, don't have time to actually tan a hide myself. I teach a sixth-grade special ed. classroom, lots of U.S. History from Jamestown on. Kids don't get the idea of making clothes from fur. I'd like to know of a place that I can drop off a couple hides and get them back either hair on/off or both. Any suggestions welcome. I hunt in Northern Loudon county and fish in Southern Maryland out of Buzz's so I can drop off/pick up anywhere in between. Mark

·
Registered
846 Posts
Next time you are in a Barnes and Noble, pick up a copy of the magazine "Fur Fish & Game". In the clasifieds they will have several companies offering to tan hides fur on and fur off. Good luck.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Here is all the info you will ever need to do it yourself. If your neighbors thought you were strange for butchering deer in your backyard, wait till they see you shucking the fur off the hide!

Tan Your Own Hide

Reminds me of back when I was in college and killed a doe one Saturday afternoon. By the time I got it home and strung it up from the front porch/deck to skin and butcher it was dark. I had to point my truck at it so I could work from the light of the headlamps. Of course it's now Saturday night in Charlottesville and there's a steady stream of kids walking by my house on their way to the bars... let's just say that I got to hear more than one sorority girl "shock gobble" and carry on about the surprise display!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts