Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I'm sure that the attention brought to this issue by TF contributed to the development of this idea and program. I think it's great, despite all of the complaining you will hear abour welfare for watermen. They will be earning their money the hard way; they have the equipment needed for the job, it will benefit the Bay and everyone on this board that takes from it. The money they earn gets taxed the rest gets cycled back into the local economy. Win-win.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Nice, VA has upped the environmental anty again. Let's see if MD is willing to match this one. First it was the major female catch restrictions, including the dredging ban, then the suspension on unused commercial licenses, now this.

Why does it seem, and maybe I am wrong, that VA is always ahead in the game and MD is always responding.

Although let's look at the bright side. At this rate, we may actually get some well needed environmantal issues resolved.

For that matter $300 a day is pretty nice money, depending on the standard of a day, how will it be monitored??????? As mentioned in the article, accountability is an issue, wouldn't a pay per pot be better?

Chris

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,141 Posts
I think a per day amount plus a bounty for each pot is a better motivator.

A per day only formula invites slackers. (No matter how little or how hard they work the pay is the same, possibly leading to laxity.)

A bounty only formula requires some luck. (Not everyone will hit the mother lode.)

Together they make the playing field a bit more even. (Work harder and smarter and reap the reward.)

That's the way I would like to be compensated if I were in this program.

One or two dollars bounty for each worthless pot. Waterman gets to keep usable pots and sell or use them as his own.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Jerry - I agree 110%. Have YOU ever thought of running for Governor? On second thought you wouldn't succeed at all - you have way too much COMMON SENSE!

HAH!:thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jerry - I agree 110%. Have YOU ever thought of running for Governor? On second thought you wouldn't succeed at all - you have way too much COMMON SENSE!

HAH!:thumbup:
This coming from a guy that PAID some good money to have a piece of wood glassed into his boat when a piece of SS would've worked fine:yes: I went with the SS....stronger and cheaper;-)

Guess everbody get's a VOTE:helpsmilie:

Can we get GW for a 3rd term:eek:

·
7,173 Posts
Yes, it does cause one to wonder how production is measured or monitored.

·
7,173 Posts
A couple more comments. $300 a day is not a lot of money to operate a commercial boat... after taxes, fuel, crew member(s). There aren't too many charter fisherman that would leave the dock for $300. Also, most people these days get paid a wage vs. piece-meal like the old days. See how it goes this year and adjust if necessary. I trust that most these guys will be appreciative to have work and will earn their keep. Every occupation hs a few slackers.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
Three hundred dollars is not much money to run a commercial boat BUT, it is MUCH better than sitting home making nothing. I usually make $600.00 per day in my remodeling business but would jump at $300.00 per day if I had no work...........Gary

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I read it I thought I read that the state was paying for their fuel, which I thought wasn't to bad and helped out.

·
7,173 Posts
Three hundred dollars is not much money to run a commercial boat BUT, it is MUCH better than sitting home making nothing. I usually make $600.00 per day in my remodeling business but would jump at $300.00 per day if I had no work...........Gary
Gary - Of course. I'm sure these guys are not complaining and quite happy to be able to make some money. I was just pointing out that in this case, the mate doesn't work for tips, so the final take is much less. The State put these guys out of work and most of us wanted VA to stop the winter dredging. I don't know if this is a one time deal, it might be. I like the idea of employing watermen into areas that can help Bay recovery efforts. This is actually doing something useful with tax earmarks for Saving the Bay. I would like to to know what Virginians think about this. I like the idea of using MD watermen for oyster recovery and would like to see a moratorium on Bay oystering.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think paying these folks to dredge for ghost pots is a great idea, anything that removes garbage from the Bay is good in my book. I don't hear too much from the State about the Obama 850 billion stimulus plan coming to MD but I hope we get a chunk of it to clean and restore the Bay. What the hell, we'll be paying for it for the next 50 years anyway.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I hope VA takes a page from Texas's book. They pulled tens of thousands of ghost pots from the area around Galveston a couple years ago. The pots that were still in good enough shape to be used were cleaned and sold and the money went into the program. Even at $5 a pot...

·
7,173 Posts
I hope MD follows suit with paying watermen to pull ghost pots. Here's an excerpt from an article I found online..

In the (Chesapeake) Bay region, watermen surveyed in 1990 estimated that 10-30 percent of their pots were lost each year. But some think that number could be low.

In the Gulf of Mexico, fishery managers estimate that 250,000 ghost blue crab pots are added to Gulf waters each year-or 25 percent of those used annually by commercial fishermen.

The potential impact is not trivial. A study in Louisiana estimated that ghost pots could kill 4 million to 10 million blue crabs annually in state waters, as well as many recreational species such as spotted seatrout, red drum and black drum.

In a recent experiment in Canada, where ghost fishing was simulated with traps targeting dungeness crabs, researches estimated that ghost fishing accounted for 7 percent of the total catch.

A panel of outside experts that conducted the peer review for a recently completed stock assessment on the Chesapeake Bay's blue crabs said that ghost fishing was potentially an important source of crab source of mortality in the Bay. "It is strongly recommended that the extent of ghost fishing be assessed with regard to the potential losses, and how, if they are significant, they can be ameliorated," the panel wrote.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I hope MD follows suit with paying watermen to pull ghost pots. Here's an excerpt from an article I found online..

In the (Chesapeake) Bay region, watermen surveyed in 1990 estimated that 10-30 percent of their pots were lost each year. But some think that number could be low.

In the Gulf of Mexico, fishery managers estimate that 250,000 ghost blue crab pots are added to Gulf waters each year-or 25 percent of those used annually by commercial fishermen.

The potential impact is not trivial. A study in Louisiana estimated that ghost pots could kill 4 million to 10 million blue crabs annually in state waters, as well as many recreational species such as spotted seatrout, red drum and black drum.

In a recent experiment in Canada, where ghost fishing was simulated with traps targeting dungeness crabs, researches estimated that ghost fishing accounted for 7 percent of the total catch.

A panel of outside experts that conducted the peer review for a recently completed stock assessment on the Chesapeake Bay's blue crabs said that ghost fishing was potentially an important source of crab source of mortality in the Bay. "It is strongly recommended that the extent of ghost fishing be assessed with regard to the potential losses, and how, if they are significant, they can be ameliorated," the panel wrote.
Yes and those water are saltier than the mid and upper bay so the ghost pots lost up here will stay in the water longer and kill even more. Virginia is doing a good thing. Maryland really needs to do something about this. They won't though, they would rather use the money to do something that wil buy them votes.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Bait & Switch??

I've a Crabber friend in the lower Bay that says the BS is just that ; BS. No one has received a dime from the program or even been called to work. Kaine needs the money for some Arts program, new tires on the limo or to pay for the multi-million over haul on the capital building.
Anyone know better?:wacko:
budc

·
7,173 Posts
Bud - The money hasn't been appropriated yet. Article says early next year. Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts