Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family spent the 1st week of March in the Orlando area. On Wed the 7th. my dad, my son and myself went fishing in Mosquito Lagoon with Capt. Joe Roberts. A big thanks to TF'er Gateman 4, for recommending Capt. Joe. It was a beautiful day, sunny, upper 70's, light winds...:cool2: Sight fishing for reds on the flats was completely new to us, and it was great. Light tackle with 13lb fireline was provided by the Capt., and he was very patient with some rusty casting from yours truly! We used live shrimp and finger mullet, and it was exciting to watch the reds slam the mullet up on the surface. After catching some nice slot fish on the flats, we moved to the edge of a bar where we could see bigger fish tailing in the shallows. I caught a 10 lb'er and dad caught a 13lb'er, both above the slot limit...before the fish were too spooked to take another bait. We took some fillets back to the condo, since we have never had redfish...and we bought live shrimp from the shop where we met the Capt. The blackened redfish and steamed shrimp was the best dinner that we had on vacation:thumbup: I would definitely recommend Capt Joe Roberts.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Reds

Dave
Terrific report on an excellent day with great photos, thanks. As a Florida transplant up here to the Chesapeake, I have to say that Reds are some of my all time favorite fish to catch. Topwater Zara Spooks in a variety of colors can produce some terrific light tackle action. LT is the best.

Don't those Reds pull like freight trains?

Again, great report.
jkc

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JKC, they were fun on the 10lb outfits that we were using...especially in about 1 to 2 feet of water! It's great to be able to watch the fish during the fight.
Dave

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
WTG Dave, great report. between you the Magnent and the the Illeagal I'd say you had a great trip..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts