Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved a vacume packer for my 44th. Was wondering if any one has any clever uses or tips for using it. I'm hoping it will help stretch the rockfish and flounder out through out the year.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've found that wrapping the fillet iin saran wrap before packing helps get a much better seal and it keeps alot longer.

If you're not going to use the saran wrap then pat your fish dry before packing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
vacuum

I quick freeze mine on foil then Vacuum pack, lasts a long time. another good idea when I make bean soup or veg. soup I freeze in plastic bowls and then, after removing from bowl, slip into the vacuum bags. I don't waste any good soup, that I love in the winter.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you are vacuum sealing fish or meat you should freeze or at least partially freeze the filets or meat before vacuum sealing. This prevents liquids from messing up your seal. Makes it less messy to pack in the bags too.

Tight lines,
Dan

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Tear open five to seven Condoms, depending on the mood you think you will be in and Vacume pack all of them in one package , that way in the heat of the moments you wont have to keep fumbleing around with each one as you and your girlfreinds lovemaking session plays on;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
You can also pack and freeze vegetables. I pack sweet corn in summer for winter enjoyment. Be sure to blanch before packing. When you are ready to prepare, just drop the sealed bag in boiling water and there is no mess to clean up. The Tilia website used to have lots of ideas. Have not looked at it lately.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Pat dry, then place a 1/2 paper towel @ the top of the bag next to the seal before pressing the start button. Ensure that the paper towel is not on the heating unit or else you won't get a good seal. Works great.
yes indeed - thats just what i do too-

not just fish but buy the big packs of chicken,pork chops and ground chuck and split them then vac seal em.

cut bait

smokes

socks

flares

camera

first aid kit

anything else you dont want wet or will not use often

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I vacume pack my small tool set and first aid kit which stays nice and dry in the boat. I use a little extra bag so I can re-seal if I have to open up either. The good news is that the bags have never been opened.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a food saver and it came with an attachment for sealing mason jars.
I use one quart mason jars and stuff it with flounder filets, then seal it.
It then can be put in the freezer.
I find it much easier than using the bags. You do not have to freeze the fish first because the water doesn't get sucked into the machine.
Been doing it for about 5 years and have had no issues.
Also, I will go down to Maine Ave. (DC) and buy some squid to use as bait.
I clean and cut it and put it in a brine solution, put it in the mason jar.
Add a few drops of shedder oil and seal and freeze. Tastes great!!! (to the flounder).
Give it a try the flounder really keeps well in the jars.
Bob

·
Registered
129 Posts
The widemouth Mason jar attachment is the handiest part of mine.

I use a lot of one pint and half pint freezer jars. I am switching over to all widemouth jars since they are more versatile.

The one pint jars mostly go to the freezer.

The half pint jars are mainly used for breaking items like salsa down to portions and go mostly in the fridge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts