Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made a run offshore with Wes Blow, Doug Gross, and Steve Walker. Didn't see any signs of life at the triangles but did see some commercial nets that appeared to me to be inside the VMRC artificial reef zone which I thought was prohibited. About half way between the triangles and the fingers started seeing small flocks of gulls working over bait but as soon as we got near the birds, they would dissipate and I could not acquire the fish or bait they were feeding on. Pressed on the tip of the 21 fathom finger and there were saw BFT (50-100 lb class maybe) rolling on the surface chasing bait. Our first pass some BFT busted on the surface right at our bow and our lines passed right over where they busted. We all that it was going to be game time. Nothing. This was our pattern for the morning. Bob on Still Thinkin arrived to our location and worked over the same area as he also saw the same schools. These BFT were hauling butt. Our slow troll of 4.5 knots was not fast enough to catching any of these moving schools. We would see a pod of birds and some BFT roll and would increase to 6 or 7 knots to get in front of the moving school and many times put the baits right over their noses I'm sure of it and still nothing. Not even bluefish bites. Tried turning, slowing down to let the baits sink then speed up, etc, etc. Never could even get into a good position to drop a jig or eel (which we had) because they were moving too fast. It was very frustrating to see the fish but could not get them to bite. BTW, only had 3 surface baits of horse hoos on islanders and one deep planer bait and a r/w stretch (the stretch was not always in the water in case it was spooking them.

After spending most the morning chasing fish with no hookup we pushed out deeper to 25 fathoms and started seeing big pods of dolphin. But no love all the way to the ocean venture. Stopped for a while to catch some BSB over the Ocean Venture. Some very nice knot heads to 5 plus pounds but also lots of throwback too (and one dog caught by Steve). Got a call from a buddy that he saw some more BFT busting the surface at the canyon so headed that way. Got the south wall and saw acres of 2-tone dolphin busting the surfacing like they were feeding. Trolled over the top of them and Wes gets a solid hookup while putting the line out. Rod doubled over and line peeling out on a tiagra 50W. But my Bill Fisher 150 lb windon swivel failed and it was gone. That was our only hookup of the day. Now I've never hooked a dolphin and I can't say our hookup was not a dolphin but I'm calling it a BFT and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Well it's getting late and can't acquire any more pods of birds or fish so we finish off the day getting our limit of 28 tiles and more BSB. Stuff the fish box to the top in 2 drifts with 8-12 lb class of tiles. Several citations in the mix, not sure who got what. The dogs are there now but fortunately for us, they only seemed to like Steve's rod. :D

Make it to the High Rise by 6 pm and see a hundred of my closest friends forming a parking lot. Find a vacant spot near Daddy's Girl Too and put the eel spread out. Nobody is really into this plan it seems with everybody eating supper and me going down below to rest. Within the hour the wind kicks up enough to turn our boat sideways. No striper love. I expect the fish gods probably saw we had a full fish box already and decided we had harvest our daily limit from sea that day and put a striper jinx on us. Made one attempt to reposition to a better spot but still ended up sideways again so we head back at 7:30 pm.

Great day on the water. Saw some fish, missed some fish, caught some fish so it was a good day. Sun was out the whole day and seas stayed down enabling us to run wherever we wanted. Can't wait to do it again. I'm thinking of slow trolling live bait or chunking for BFT may be more productive that trolling this time of year. Maybe I'll try that next.

Got some pics, I'll post later tonight.

Some of the BSB on the Ocean Venture were nice. Doug and Steve with a pair.

Wes with a nice BSB.

Steve's biggest tile.

Full fish box.

Tired crew.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
You're a warrior, Fish Dad - and thanks for the detailed report it was a pleasure to read. BTW all of the times I was convinced I'd snagged a porpoise out of a huge pod in my wake it turned out to be tuna. I know there are a couple stories out there about hooking a marine mammal but I buy your BFT story ;)

·
Registered
708 Posts
great report Mike

sorry about that the Bill Fisher leader failure! That stinks! We used to see YFT like that in the summer at Hatteras but the would never hit a trolled bait. The kite set up worked on them though. Wondering if that would work on the BFT???? We got no striper love yesterday either up off the Rappahanock. Finished the day with one 22" er. SLOOOOW

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do think they would respond to chunking or live baiting. They are feeding while traveling. Now the problem is where to do it? Where do you chose to set up? I guess you can just sit in a general area you see them busting and hope a school visits where you stopped. If you see another school moving but are 100 yards away and going to miss you, what do you do? Pull lines and try to run in front of them. They just don't stay in one spot, they are moving fast.

·
Registered
875 Posts
All that nice tackle and rig you have and you buy swivels from CHINA;-).......only the Japs know how to make swivels......been there done that.....sucks when it happens

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I told ya Mike, when you see them all around and they wont bite its time for the spear gun and a big bouy. :eek2: Martin

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey

good report srry to hear bout the tackle failure that will piss you off well looks like yall boys still manage a nice cooler full great job on the tiles:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All that nice tackle and rig you have and you buy swivels from CHINA;-).......only the Japs know how to make swivels......been there done that.....sucks when it happens
I figured that was your company so I was good. :D Lesson learned. I think I'm going back to the windons by basil from BHP tackle.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks for the ride again!

Just finished cleaning my tiles and eating some too!:pp Didn't weigh my tile in, but probably went around 12-14 pounds. Should have, but I am still whipped as I have not done that in some time!

·
Registered
65 Posts
There were some small scattered pods of bluefin surfacing in sight of Triangles 12/3. We stuck with the bottum fishing.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks for the ride again!

Just finished cleaning my tiles and eating some too!:pp Didn't weigh my tile in, but probably went around 12-14 pounds. Should have, but I am still whipped as I have not done that in some time!
I am thinking your fish was closer to 14 pounds. I weighed my smaller big fish and it was 10 pounds 13 ounces, I had already cleaned the biggest one I had when I got out my scale. Your fish was definitely bigger than the biggest one I took home.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Fish Dad,

For what it's worth.

My experience during similar situations has led me to run and gun. Meaning I'm only fishing two rods with spoons, already positioned in the outriggers, get in front of the
pushing school and send these out WWWWB2 I'm talking 4-500 yards the whole time
these rods are being spooled out somone is flipping bunker. I use a kids plastic wiffle
ball bat (about 8 inch diameter) with end cut out. We can really fling bunker using this setup.

As you stated these fish are moving real fast and you're only looking for 1-2 hookups.
My experience is the bait on the surface gets some attention enough to have your
spoons get looked at. Seems to work more for me that not working. Same for those
finicky fast moving YFT schools. If you can give them a reason to slow down you've got a
shot at a good day.

Keith
TEASER
Wachapreague, VA

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fish were seen Weds: it's good to know the fish are there even though they are finiky as bluefins can be. Unusual to have a fresh swivel break Mike, for what it's worth I usually use the 180 to 220 class crank on swivels for the bluefins. Dave

·
Registered
459 Posts
Too bad about the BFT's, you'll get them next time. Looks like you filled the fish boxes with some very nice BSB and tiles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts