Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
O/T Venison Recipes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this last year and got a lot of great recipes from fellow TF'rs. (cutbait 2005, you out there?)

I printed them all out but I can not find them. So here I am again asking for your favorite venison recipes.

My neighbor gave me 2 nice tenderloins yesterday. I am thinking about putting one on the grill today or maybe in the crock pot.

How do you folks like to prepare and cook your venison.

Thanks,

Dennis:)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Whole tenderloin- mix up 1/2 cup olive oil, 3 dashes of worcestershire (sp?) sauce, and maybe two tablespoons of brown sugar. Marinate for no more than an hour- grilling time depends on the size of the deer, but don't overcook- you can always throw it back on, no way to make it more rare....

I think this adds just the right amount of flavor without overpowering the natural taste.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Little olive oil, litttle acid (it could be red wine vinigar, lemon juice, lime juice....whatever) some garlic and fresh herbs (thyme, little rosmary, sage, or your choice) and some fresh minced garlic, salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Let it marinate for an hour or longer if you like (overnight is no problem) Just depends on what falvor you like. Get you grill as hot as it can be and cook directly. If it's a thicker cut you can start it directly and then move to cook through indirect heat (ie.....if right burner is on/coals, move meat to the left and put the lid on. Just like searing a loin on the stove and finishing it off on the oven.

PS...the nice thing about his recipie is that you can taylor it to your liking. You want venision fajita's???.....no problem, use cilatro and parsley and cumin rather than sage or rosemary and use lime juice as your acid. Just be careful with rosemary, it's very powerful and always remember to let the meat rest before cutting.

Good Luck,
Anthony

PSS.....crock pots are great for roast but I much prefer grilling steaks and loins.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Deer Salad

For something different take one of those front shoulders or the neck and cut it up into chunks. Throw it in a pot and boil till done (reserve stock for stew or soup). Chill the meat and run it through a food processor then add your favorite ingredients for tuna fish salad. Makes a great spread for crackers.

Gator

·
Registered
698 Posts
grilled

cut into chunks {across grain} sprinkle with lemon pepper and wrap with bacon, grill over hot fire to get bacon done and dont over cook the deer.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again for all the recipes. I am going to have to bring my neighbor some more fish so I can get some more venison from him as I don't have enough it try all of the above. I am going to print this out and keep it on hand.

Incidentally, the reason for my double post is that I had also posted this request on the Virginia Board and Brandon moved that post to this board.

Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have been on a Montreal Steak Seasoning kick as of late, I add a couple of teaspoons of that with a couple teaspoons of vinegar and olive oil add to the meat a day or so in advance and let soak,
the next say it cooks nice, It is very simple and effective, perfect for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My favorite way to cook vension is in crock pop. Take a shoulder small portion, mix two cans cream of mushroom soup, two cans of cream of chicken, 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese,
1 1/2 cup red cooking wine. Put shoulder in crock pot (No need to debone, bones will fall off). Pour soup of meat, add cheese, wine, put crock pot on high at 6 p.m. day of cooking, next morning set crock pot to med, leave on till 6 p.m. If anybody is home have them check it when meat is falling off bones turn off. I like by best with fresh cooked rice.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Venison Steak Diane

For Tenderloins/Back straps -
- Melt 3 tbs butter in sauce pan and add 1/4 cup of chopped sweet onions over med heat until onions are golden brown
- Add 3/4 cup of beef broth, 2 tbs of red wine and simmer until reduce stock by half
- Cut steaks 1 inch thick and coat with fresh coarse ground pepper
- Melt 3 tbs butter in to skillet and cook steaks over med heat, DON'T over cook med rare at most.
- Set steaks in warming rack and allow skillet to cool slightly than add 1/4 cup of Grand Monier and ignite with flame (use devise so that your hand is not over the skillet) burn-off alcohol
- Add onion,wine & beef broth stock to skillet and bring to a boil, with med heat & stirring.

Slice down steaks and pour sauce over slices.

By far the most frequently requested recipe by my daughter, son & wife

1 - 9 of 9 Posts