Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 23ft seacraft cc and need a trailer. I've decided on a 6000lb bunk trailer but don't know wether to go with a venture or load rite. Both cone with torsion axles, kodiak disc brakes, and a 2 year warranty. Any comments, thoughts, and experiences, are very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
loadrite is the biggest piece of s**t in the boating industry since the bayliner. I have had both and have a load rite now, NON-stop maintenance, lights, brakes, and tires are all JUNK. I bought the load rite 7600 in Feb '08 and have since had all four tires blow out, brake are completely gone, they broke apart in the drums and locked up the wheels, bearing were not too bad, I changed mine out but didn't have a failure yet. I think the lights worked on the way home from the dealer ship and that was about it, have not worked consistently since, I have rewired and replaced the light housings. Only thing that works now is the brake lights. All U bolts are completely rusted with a lot of wastage on the threads.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I don't know about the current models, but I have a 1990 LoadRite 8100# and it is still going strong. Of course it has had to have some work done on it, but that's going to be true of any trailer used in salt water. Are you sure about the weight? I would think a 23' Seacraft on the trailer would be more like 7000#, if not more. You definitely don't want your trailer too light for the job.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I have a Venture aluminum roller. Only problem I have had with it is the winch cable that came with it busted on the ramp in just over 1 year. It just rusted through. Everything else has been typical maintenance stuff. The price was much cheaper than the Load Rite and seems to be an "ok" trailer. Given the opportunity again, I would get an EZ Loader. Last two of those I owned were flawless.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It's all about maintenance. Get the best deal you can and take meticulous care of it. Wash it down, especially wheels and hubs, after each launch in saltwater, it only takes a couple of minutes. (It's amazing how many people you see that religiously spray down their fibreglass hulls but pay no attention to their trailer and launch vehicle wheels). If you see a bolt or u-bolt getting rusty, replace it. If the frame gets a rust spot, clean it, prime it with a good "rust stopper" and paint it.
Expensive trailers will wear out as quickly as less expensive ones if neglected.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I know you said it was between the two but I would cast a vote for loadmaster. I had a venture fore 6 seasons I would not recommend them. Last year Gary over @ S&S took my old venture on trade which not only saved me on the new one but kept me from the hassle of getting rid of the old one. My new 6200 lb loadmaster bunk came with LED lights, Kodiak discs and I paid a little extra for all SS fasteners. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
My three old Venture Alum. trailer still looks like new. Had a Load-rite, practically gave it away to get rid of it--junk.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have an 04 Venture...Lights function, but need occasional tweak...Any electrical that is put in water (especially salt) will need periodic work.

My only complaint is that the plastic wheel covers are not meant for fat boys like me to step on...they will/have cracked :)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Mckrae go with the venture you won't regret it.. I have had 2 now and never had a problem with either just regular maintenance.

Brandon

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just bought a tri-axle Venture from Bobs Trailers here in Norfolk, I upgraded to 5star aluminum rims, LED lights and guide poles, looks great is I can load my new 26ft grady solo (do need steps on the winch post though!!)

I think the brakes need tweaking, have one thats just barely grabbing, causing in annoying sqeak at various speeds, but so far, Ive been very happy, driving on an 8000# boat is always alittle scary, but its done great so far (be sure to get those poly glide bunks!! those things worked great; I had them added to my previous Sailfish and really assisted in loading + no rub marks on the bunks)

Good Luck!!

G

·
I have a Venture and I do long trailer trips every weekend (30 miles each way). The basic frame of the trailer is fine but I had to replace all the lights after the first year. I moved the brake lights onto PVC poles to get them out of the water. Home run wiring with the only connections at the tongue of the trailer to keep it out of the water. Brakes froze up after 2 years and they said I didn't wash them enough but I wash my boat every trip AND trailer more than boat. I think I would spend more money on a trailer next time and go EZ Loader or buy the best brakes and wheel bearing options.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts