Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a very exciting moment yesterday. No, I didn't get shot again. :rolleyes: Here's the story. If you don't feel like reading, skip to the last couple paragraphs. I like to paint the scene.

I went over to where I hunt to shoot my rifle just to make sure it was still shooting right since our rifle season comes in on Monday. I had brought my bow but really didn't intend on hunting at all. While shooting my gun a couple times the wind was just roaring. I mean roaring roaring. So I figured what the hell? It's snowing on and off, and I think it'd be at least pretty cool to say that I have bow hunted in the snow. So on the four wheeler I went towards my stand.

When I parked the four wheeler I noticed the wind was blowing even harder. The blows across open fields and across the river before it hit the rock bluffs where my tree stand is located. It is almost always at least breezy at my stand. I had a problem though.. the wind was blowing dead wrong for my stand. Oh well.. I figured I'd go in and maybe do some walking around to check for sign.

I tip toed in through the woods. I noticed there was a fresh scrape literally on the trail that I walk in. Cool stuff. As I topped the hill behind my stand I really started inching being that on top of this hill was an open spot where I threw some corn out and deer would likely be there. I was right. When I first saw a deer it was a doe at around 30 yards. This was very exciting to me because I had never tried stalking before. It was cool having a deer in bow range while having a bow in my hand at ground level.

So I just stood and watched her for a couple seconds before noticing another deer behind her, but this one had horns. I was all amped up. He was a pretty nice 8 point with a bright rack standing about 40 yards away and slowly walking closer. I inched my way to a tree near by without the deer even noticing and leaned up against it and waited. The buck was now about 35 yards away and behind a tree, so I drew back. Now the doe steps out at around 10 yards in front of me but not in the way of the shot at the buck when he would step out from behind the tree. He took one step. I needed one more step and it would be a good clear shot. He stopped and ate for a couple seconds - just long enough for the doe to throw her nose up in the air and start sniffing. Just stomped and looked all around. She still didn't see me though. "One more step. One more step, buddy. Come on", I was thinking. The doe then snorted and ran with the buck in tail. GAAAHH!!!

This was one of the first times this season that I've been winded. This was also the first time I was wearing a set of gloves that I hadn't treated with my homemade cover scent methods. I don't know. Maybe I'm making excuses. :pp I got and stayed in my stand for about another hour. Another little doe came out and she too winded me. After this I came on out, not wanting to stink the joint up and possibly screw the area up.

So now I've been putting corn out about once a week or so. Just some 40lbs bags. Well, I put 40lbs out on Wednesday - yesterday there were scraps left. The acorns just aren't in our woods this year. When I started laying corn out it was like I turned the deer switch on. I'm going to go put out half a bag today and then a whole bag on Sunday. Say what you will about baiting.. I don't have hours to hunt or a ton of land to move around on (my spot is the only spot I can hunt). It's perfectly legal here. Baiting is what I do, and no one's comments will change that. Please don't knock it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Just put out 300 pounds of corn today, been feeding them slowly the past 2 weeks, today we laid it on thick.

·
Registered
699 Posts
awesome story...

some times those windy cold days are the ticket! Not sure about the law on baiting but I don't know if I would include those details on this post. ANd YES, VA has a game law against baiting fish! I was written up on it by a warden for throwing a couple samon eggs in a stream to see if the very visible, hatchery raised, trout in the stream would eat it, as I was leaving the fishing spot. BS!!!!!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
can you bait turkeys to, cause that would be awesome.
Not in WV.

id get all the corn i could and put it down....to me baiting aint no different than hunting a corn field
I put 40lbs out on Sunday in 4 equal in size piles. This morning they were reduced to scraps with deer poop all around the piles. I'm hoping to get by Southern States tomorrow after I hunt in the morning to buy a couple 50lbs bags. I might go ahead and dump 100lbs in at once.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If your looking to save some money; find a famer who sells feed. You'll save yourself 3 to 5 dollars per hundred pounds. Southern States is expensive.
I just dumped corn on Sunday. Rebaiting Thanksgiving morning for opening day. Don't forget the rubber boots.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know if I would include those details on this post
I am in no way, shape or form ashamed that I put corn out. If I kill a deer off of the pile I have no problem at all posting it up.

Anyway, it is allll gone now. I didn't get by Southern States. I will probably try to find a farmer between now and next season. Right now it's just too late. I'm spending all day everyday in the woods. I virtually have no time to go searching around. I know of one place that I could get it for $10/100lbs (the 40lbs bags are $8 and change at Wally World), but it's too far of a drive to justify it all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a quick thought, but why continue to put corn out for the deer to eat while you are not there? Go online and buy a cheap feeder from Sportsmans guide and have it do the work for you. They have a timer and will throw corn at 7am and 4 pm. The feeder i got from them holds 200 pounds of corn and cost me 59.00.
Buying all those bags of corn adds up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The deer are grazing on it heavily while I am there. I'm not saying they're eating 40lbs worth, but they are definitely coming to it while I'm in the stand. When I first started putting the corn out it was like I had found the deer switch and turned it on. The farm across the river from us hadn't cut their corn yet. So I believe our deer were crossing over to feed being that we haven't been seeing acorns at all like we have in previous years.

Anyway, I spent about $100 a few years back on a Moultrie feeder that had a digital clock and all. Someone else now has a very nice feeder hanging up in front of their stand. There are too many thieves running through our woods when we're not there. **** hunters have even been known to pass through at night time. During this time of year when I'm most likely in the stand during the time that the feeder would get took it would probably be ok, but any other time when I'm not able to hunt everyday I will bet it would get stolen.

I don't have all that far to carry the corn as I ride a 4 wheeler to about 150 yards from my stand. So it's not too bad carrying it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts