Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started out early Friday morning over the tube at the tide change with lots of decent croakers up to 13"-14"-some for bait and some for Sandy.

Moved out along the Thimble Shoal Channel to see if flounder were still around. Trolled against the incoming with croaker and flounder strips against the current and picked up 4 keepers up to 20" with about 10 throw backs. Got too rough for Sandy and her very recent rotor cuff surgery, so headed back to the barn early and slowly.

Gotta give Sandy "Queen of Trout" credit for going with us. She is a keeper. I think she was very desperate to finally get out of the house and do something. :yes:

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are still here Mike! Could have caught more, but Sandy was very uncomfortable and we had to head back.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
356 Posts
Kevin how fast do you troll against the current. I have tried but failed. I usually drift with the current just because I don't want to drive the boat all day.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We seem to do better trolling 1.0 kts. - 2.5 kts. into the tide, 10-16 oz. weights, 3-4 ft. leaders and 6"-12" droppers, depending on how far back, the depth and the amount of grass on the bottom. I personally like the heavier weights and closer to the boat.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sandy is a tough one, there was no way I could have been out there so soon after my shoulder surgery. Nice work you all!

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have an outboard that is okay. If you have an I/O it puts a lot of wear on the transmission. You may also want to consider trolling a drift sock or a 5 gallon bucket to slow down.

Kevin
Weekend MIstress

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If you have an outboard that is okay. If you have an I/O it puts a lot of wear on the transmission. You may also want to consider trolling a drift sock or a 5 gallon bucket to slow down.

Kevin
Weekend MIstress
Put a "Happy Troller" trolling plate on the outdrive and you can get down to 1.0 mph without any strain on the engine or transmission.

I have one that I used on my 23ft Maxum until I sold the boat last summer. Will sell it for $75.00, retails for $150.00.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts