Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my old Shakespeare model 2525 quit working I'm in the market for a new and better unit, I hope. I'm looking at Icon model M302 or even Uniden Oceans model 159 but don't know a thing about them, any help with info. on any of these two would be helpfull.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have the ICOM 402S matched up with an 8' Digital antenna. The setup works great I've been in front of Ches Beach and talked with buddies down at the 72 bouy without a problem. The 402S has DSC and runs about $130 -- The antenna is about the same.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I bought an M302 last year after being caught in a storm and loosing a Standard Horizon vhf and a gps. I had a lot of trouble with the M302 antenna cable routing to avoid interference. Didn't have any problems with the SH radio. Seems to work fine now after shortening the cable to exactly what's needed.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Don't know much about the the radio other than decent price for a DSC VHF but it primarily comes down to antenna quality/height. A very good 8' 6db one will set you back a hundred and fifty bones or more and I highly discourage cutting back the coax before checking the SWR-Standing Wave Ratio. If you must cut the coax I've had great results using Shakespeare PL259 solderless connectors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Icom M502 is on sale for $200 at boaters world. I paid $300 for mine a few years ago. great radio for the $$$.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts