Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure most people know of this but judging by the amount of ch 16 radio check calls I hear, I figured it worth posting.

I believe it's located in Annapolis, but have no problems hitting it from either Essex or Solomon's.

Simply switch to ch 27, give a standard radio check, and it will be followed by a short advertisement for Sea Tow, and then your actual voice message.

It's useful bc it allows you hear exactly how you sound over the air.

After hearing yourself you can self correct mic placement and how long to squeeze before and after, etc..., if your response is other than how you'd like it to be. Best part is it's free, can be used limitless until you trouble shoot and get your end correct, and you can practice what's important to get across like vesselname, description, location, numbers aboard, etc...

It's still not for practicing pan pan, securite securite, or damn sure mayday calls just in case someone is on scan and picks it up. But if the world gets out enough maybe it'll free up 16 a little. Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
120 Posts
That is great information. most people have no idea how they sound to others when they broadcast.

Thanks for posting this.

v/r
"HARDROCKS"
USCG CWO4 "Retired"
Rocky

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
I've used it - smart to check VHF radio each morning.

Hopefully others read this or share info - might cut down on radio checks on # 16 and # 68.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts