Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was the only trailer at Crab Creek yesterday and when I returned, I had a $35.00 ticket since my trailer inspection expired in 12-06. I knew it was due but was given a new incentive to 'get er dun'. Stopped at my local repair shop and $16.00 later I was legal again.

So, my advice is 'pay me know or pay me triple later' -

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
They are there everyday. Very bad odds if someones trailer is not legal and they want to roll the dice.

Sometimes it takes something special to happen to me to get me off my a$$ and get something done.

For instance running out of gas on the interstate a few weeks back. I new I was low, the light was on but I was to lazy to stop before getting on.

That got me off my a$$ and walking.:D

Dennis:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
you just got to get the trailers with brakes on them inspected I thought.....am I still under the same assumtion or have they changed that..?......they used to come check all the city stickers at owls creek....i'M ALL FOR SAFTEY....BUT THATS LIKE THE MARINE PATROL WAITING AT THE LOT TO CHECK FISH....WHEN THEY COULD BE OUT THERE CATCHING THE TRAWLERS TRAWLING BACK AND FORTH ACROSS THE BRIDGE TUNNEL ALL NITE LONG....50 YARDS OFF THE BRIDGE FILLING THE BOAT WITH STRIPERS.....
OR THE MENHADEN BOATS RUNNING THRU THE MIDDLE OF THE FISHING FLEET AND SURROUNDING MY BOat with the friggin purse seine.....
Oops.....I got off that tread huh?......Well at least they got rid of the city sticker thing....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Is Crab Creek a public (City) owned ramp or private? If it is private, can they do that? I thought an expired inspection sticker is a moving violation. Just curious.

BTW, mine expires in July ;) .

I think :eek: .

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C

·
Registered
397 Posts
Anywhere that does state inspections should be able to do it. I discovered mine was dead last year as I was leaving for Hatteras. I just stopped by a local gas station and 15 minutes later, I was on my way.

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I've seen these post several time and need to know if all trailors need to be inspected or only ones with brakes and if I decided to add brakes I would then have to have my trailor inspected? Someone asked if it was a moving violation and as far as I know it is not considered one.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think if it has brakes and/or the trailer is over 3500 lbs. gross it has to be inspected

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230C/C

·
Registered
72 Posts
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm#InspectionProgram

I have a small trailer and I would like to know if it is required to be inspected.

It depends. If the "actual gross weight" is 3,000 pounds or more, it is required to have brakes and is required to be inspected. (The "actual gross weight" is the weight of the trailer plus the weight of any load that the trailer is carrying.) If the "actual gross weight" is less than 3,000 pounds, it is not required to be inspected; however, any trailer under 3,000 that is equipped with brakes is also required to be inspected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Trailers with brakes have an inspection and need to be inspected once a year. Those without, do not. The inspectoin is for the brakes. As mentioned above, if your load is over 3K the trail has to have brakes.

Scot

·
Registered
440 Posts
im curious, i have been lucky i just rebuilt my trailer and did replace the brakes and havent got it inspected yet.. do the inspectors actually check if the brakes work? and how do they do it?? i heard some look at them and slap a sticer on them? also should the boat be off the trailer? yes i heard some people tell me some inspectors wont inspect it with the boat on the trailer because they say the cant get to look at the springs?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've got disc brakes with torsion axles and yes the inspector looked at all the lines, pads, master cylinder, lights, etc. One nice thing about disc brakes is a visual inspection is real easy.

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C

·
Registered
649 Posts
I am an inspector and the **** about the boat being off the trailer is just that.... ****. They just dont want to do it. Inspecting a boat trailer is a time consuming pain if you do it right. So you come up with this take the boat off stuff and it goes away. The inspection is suposed to be done in a specific approved bay or concrete pad in the station. I dont want to do them either. The only one ive done in ten years is mine. Generally speaking if it has brakes it should be inspected. If it has two axles it should have brakes and should be inspected. Single axle trailers usually dont. Always the exceptions out there.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wonder if the Va Beach police make daily trips to the library or rec center parking lots looking for cars with expired stickers

Boats

1 - 15 of 15 Posts