Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that VMRC approved a bill that would allow doe hunting to take place in virginia from january 5th to arch 10th. Has anyone heard anything about this? The purpose was to reduce the amount of does due to a high rate of deer having diseases.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I heard that VMRC approved a bill that would allow doe hunting to take place in virginia from january 5th to arch 10th. Has anyone heard anything about this? The purpose was to reduce the amount of does due to a high rate of deer having diseases.
I am guessing you mean VDGIF not the VMRC---I searched the VDGIF site and there is nothing there regarding this. Doesn't mean it isn't true or won't happen, just that there is nothing there about that.

In the past they have allowed the "Urban Archery" to remain open for antlerless deer through March. Could that be what you heard about?

Keep us posted if you hear anything else about the possibility of an extended season.

Thanks and Good Luck to Ya!

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you are correct VDGIF not vmrc. I've been talking to all of my buddies today and they said there were 500 boats off va beach today.LOL I went to the site as well and didn't see anything prior to the post but know that they had discussed many northern virginia counties and most if not all of the eastern shore. I'm wondering if we'll see the new change in the jan 1st 2009 hunting regs books.

I am guessing you mean VDGIF not the VMRC---I searched the VDGIF site and there is nothing there regarding this. Doesn't mean it isn't true or won't happen, just that there is nothing there about that.

In the past they have allowed the "Urban Archery" to remain open for antlerless deer through March. Could that be what you heard about?

Keep us posted if you hear anything else about the possibility of an extended season.

Thanks and Good Luck to Ya!

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's only in certain counties and not on VDGIF owned land.

Late Antlerless-Only Firearms Deer Season
During this season only antlerless deer may be taken.

January 5, 2009-March 28, 2009:
In the counties (including the cities and towns within) of Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, and Prince William, except on Department-owned lands.

To firearms deer hunt on private lands in Fairfax County a special landowner permit is required. Contact the Div. of Animal Control, 4500 West Ox Road, Fairfax, VA22030 for details. No special police permit is required for archery deer hunting.

From this page Deer

Scroll down to almost the bottom. It's also in the VA hunting book, but I don't have mine with me to look up the page number.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Must....kill....more....deer. Its kind of like fishing. The urge to catch another doesn't go away no matter what you have caught. If you have enough meat, you can do catch and release. Unfortuntely there is no such thing as hunt and release.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not to mention that the bucks will have lost their antlers and many will be harvested when they are trying to curb the "doe" population. Not a good management technique in my opinion. Just a thought ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts