Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gov. Ralph Northam made an appearance Friday morning at Denson's Grocery and Oyster Bar-the Colonial Beach restaurant with the fresh seafood advertisement-to sign a bipartisan bill that allows the sale of snakehead fish effective July 1. Del. Margaret Ransone, R-Westmoreland County, who introduced the legislation, and state Sen. Richard Stuart, R-Stafford County, were also on hand.

http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_5bf1d8c0-73c6-5d29-8737-6e09c025307e.html

Does Maryland allow commercial sale of snakeheads? Just asking.
Bill

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
There’s a restaurant in Baltimore that has snakehead on the menu. It’s only logical to have both a rec and commercial fishery if they want to keep their numbers in check.

·
Registered
4,047 Posts
I guess we have to buy a license to sell them, even when they tell us to kill them or eat them, but don't release them.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
There goes the Snakehead fishing down the tubes just like the Maryland side of the Potomac River. I had a decent day fishing yesterday with guide Mike Silecki of Virginia on the Potomac. We landed 4 Snakeheads to 6lb. I had one escapee half way to the boat. 2 visual snakehead strikes ,some follows, and some non interested cruisers. We saw one other boat in the far distance all day. Murky water ,cloudy, windy, rainy off and on and still not bad. Mike has caught 80 so far this season with his first caught Feb. 25, a 12 lbr. while fishing for crappie on a crappie jig. Shorts Plant Shoe Sky Tree

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
www.facebook.com/apexofva www.fishapex.com/ Also released a 2 1/2 lb. Bass that unexpectedly crashed the party. Too small, unwanted , and not worthy of a photo. They should stop wasting tax payers money by stocking these non native tidal water Bass in tidal waters and just put them in fresh water lakes and ponds where they do better and make the non native snakehead a fresh water tidal river game fish where they thrive without harm in that type ecosystem. Let the fishermen catch and sell non native tidal Bass . Another almost 20 lb. Snakehead was recently jack lighted and shot on the bed in Mattawoman creek . Would have been fun on a rod and reel.So much for fishing skill level and sportsman ship. Couldn't have missed that one with a head light on it while it was guarding the nest. They act like these are Burmese Pythons or Anacondas .

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I am a proponent of snakeheads being gamefish. And that doesn't matter for one second what I think...

But if you are going to allow them for sale there needs to be safeguards in place that allow for the safe consumption of these fish. That includes standards for freshness. This new law will establish that they be purchased from registered, inspected seafood dealers. That's the next step in the process for bringing these to the table in VA. It's about public safeguards, and that is the role that government plays in this scenario.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I am a proponent of snakeheads being gamefish. And that doesn't matter for one second what I think...

But if you are going to allow them for sale there needs to be safeguards in place that allow for the safe consumption of these fish. That includes standards for freshness. This new law will establish that they be purchased from registered, inspected seafood dealers. That's the next step in the process for bringing these to the table in VA. It's about public safeguards, and that is the role that government plays in this scenario.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
I am for sportfish status as well. But I have monetary reasons why want them to be a sportfish.

Best thing that happened to the Potomac since hydrilla.

Capt Mike
The ones that sell them have monetary reasons. The recreational fishermen that buy boats and fishing equipment to catch them for food and sport also have monetary expenses invested . They are taking that right away from them . "They" Like to give you what's good for you. Not what you want.I was told that the small, under 6 lb. whole snakehead "fillets " half the whole weight ,are presently getting $4 lb. So figure $2 lb. whole. One thing is for sure. Those restaurants won't be able to give Rockfish away after their customers eat some Snakehead .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts