Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ...who should fisherman support?! Are any of these folks for the status quo with regard Omega Protein? Who is for the continued decline of the bay?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
If the feds said there is a certain amount of trees along the the entire east coast of USA and XXX amount can be taken.
When other states said they would not allow it due to the damage it causes, Do you think Va legislators would allow 85% of those trees be removed from its boarders?
Menhaden are as important to the health of the bay/ our environment as trees !

·
Registered
7,478 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
IF its legal, I am not sure that they should refuse money if Omega offered it. Doesn't mean they have to help Omega
or look the other way when the issue of the damage they are doing is brought up. Its what they do after they are elected that matters. So far as I know only Rep that has introduced a bill to stop the damage to Va waters has been one from Eastern shore..
But I have to admit I have not a lot of reading on this part of the issue.

( Honestly, reading about this is depressing for me , a person that loves the water and fishing... To see and believe that in my lifetime the bay is most likely not going to recover.. I only do it because I hope to find something that may help!)

Will be interesting to see what the Va beach reps do.. and now the issue is being brought out of shadows what the others do..

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If there wasn't money in their pockets from Omega Protein, why do our politicians insist on managing the Menhaden fishery?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
If there wasn't money in their pockets from Omega Protein, why do our politicians insist on managing the Menhaden fishery?
Sadly it does have to do with money, not just from Omega. Politicians use votes to trade in a game called politics. Say,, the promise to vote for (or not vote at all) on something that helps Omega. That Rep gets in trade votes to build new roads (money) in his district. (you help me, I help you)
(Its hard to explain fully here, but hope I got point across)

If the issue gets bigger and more open to public, Then they are more careful with their vote or lack of action.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts