Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Public attendance and participation is encouraged. To get to VMRC take I-664 to Newport News. Exit using the 26th street exit. The VMRC building is on the right at the second traffic light. There is ample free (after 5PM) parking across Washington Ave.

Tom

VIRGINIA MARINE RESOURCES COMMISSION
CRAB MANAGEMENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
2600 WASHINGTON AVENUE, NEWPORT NEWS, VA
VMRC CONFERENCE ROOM, 4TH FLOOR
MARCH 19, 2007 - 7:00 PM

AGENDA
I. Introductions; Announcements

II. Approval of minutes from the January 20, 2007 meeting

III. Old Business
a. Crab Pot Season Extension - final recommendations

b. Minimum Size Limits - update

c. Use of Agents; multiple license per vessel

d. Upriver Sanctuaries for male crabs

IV. New Business
a. Bushel Limits: Spring? Sponge Crabs?

V. Next Meeting Date

·
Registered
970 Posts
Tom I remember a few months ago when you were discussing the songe crab issues and these new regs. It sounds like they could save quite a few breeders if the location of the closed areas is optimal. Will there be a cooridor that the females will have open to them to get to the hatching ground or will just the primary hatching locatins be protected. Also how much new area will be closed? Were other studies perfomed that could back up the study stating the majority of spong females die (or release the sponge). Could you post the original research article on this. I tried to look it up but I had trouble accessing the journal. I am sure that your commitee is trying there best to ensure the future of the crab population and are looking to alternatives to limiting catch numbers which would be opposed as well as reducing the needless mortality of caught sponge crabs. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts