Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tom Powers, where in the heck did this proposal come from?

18. BLUE CRAB: Request adoption of emergency regulation to open the blue crab potting season on March 19th and request for public hearing to expand the Blue Crab Spawning Sanctuary and eliminate the prohibition on the harvest of dark sponge crabs.

Instead of eliminating the prohibition on the harvest of dark spnge crabs, they should be prohibiting the harvest OF ALL SPONGE BEARING CRABS!

Ok Brandon, after Tom responds to this, be my guest to shuffle this thread.

Cut.

·
Registered
211 Posts
LMAO. So long as he has your permission.

I've never met you, never seen a photo, but I have this vision in my head of you running after Brandon yelling "move it to the proper board!!" like Gomer running after Barney in Mayberry yelling, "CITIZEN'S ARREST!!!!!"

And on the crab issue, it pains me to say it, but you're right.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
It has been discussed at the VMRC Crab committee for about 16 to 18 months.

I posted about it on the crabbing board back on July 10th.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34929

Then again on July 12th where it got several replys and a lively discussion.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34947

Then it was again discussed in a thread from Sept. that was started by someone else.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86421

Then I posted a notice regarding the Jan. 2007 VMRC Crab committee meeting where it was also discussed.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194829

If I recall there was also an article in the Daily press regarding the matter. I may have posted about it earlier as I don't know how far Brandon's archives go since he updated the board.

By all means you should send your comments to the Commission or show up on the 27th and tell them how you feel regarding the matter.

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
save the female crab

I always hear so many so called experts say that if we do not catch females we can improve the supply. The people should educate themselves before they yell out. The best book to read is "Beautiful Swimmers". All crabs are hatched in the lower bay. From Aug on the pregnant females migrate to the mouth of the bay where they will spawn and and die. Their life span is around two years. The amount of eggs on one female is one to eight million. It has been said that if all the eggs from 100 females survived it would supply the bay and all the tributaries for one year. It would seem to me that our experts should put a large emphsas on determining how to increase the survial rates than worry about man destorying the catch. Why did God design these animals as well as most fish in the way he did? After all many animals only have a few young. It should be obvious that he intends that the crabs and fish as well as many other large egg bearing creatures be a natural part of natures food chain.
It makes it easy for make regulations and police them, but do they really do any good other than to cause more hate and discontent?
Another well known fact by the commerical crabbers is that it you have a very cold winter a great many of the buried crabs die in the mud. In Feb crab dredgers will have to stop cabbing due to the fact that all the crabs have died. This has not been the case in the last couple of years due to our warm winters. There will be many more crabs that have survived this year as well.
There is nothing wrong with the people speaking out, but they should do a little homework before they speak. It this way all of us will be better off and it will cause the regualtors and scientist to better spend our money. My 2 cents. Born at Smith Pt.Va. 1943.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Also, There is about 900 square miles of the bay that is closed to the commercial harvest of crabs from June 1 through Sept. 15. This area include all of the areas in the southern end of the bay and extending out into the ocean to the 3 mile line at the mouth of the bay. All areas that wccraig is talking about.

I would take exception to the comments quoted from beautful swimmer, that was originally published 30 years ago, which seem to be dated. Female crabs can lay eggs more than once. Sometimes up to three times. They don't die after the lay their eggs. That being said the post spawn mortality, probably mostly due to fishing pressure is very high.

The proposed dark sponge crab regulation is coupled with an expansion of the sancturary to include the waters from the shore to the 3 mile line from Cape Henry south to the NC line. This area is being expanded to insure that the harvest of sponge crabs does not expand into a new area when the dark sponge crabs are there.

This is being proposed because of the mortality (both egg mass and crab) results that were done by VIMS staff. One could debate the validity of the study, etc. if you so choose. That happened in one of the above posted threads so please not with me this time.

Comments should be directed to the Commission, via Jack Travelstead at

[email protected]

Tom

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
It has been said that if all the eggs from 100 females survived it would supply the bay and all the tributaries for one year.
What would happen if 100,000 females survived? Surely couldn't be a bad thing.

The crab sancturary is a joke that was brought about to make it look like something was being done. Almost all of it is deep water that doesn't get fished in anyways.

You wanna really help the population your going to have to end Winter dredging, end retention of all sponge crabs and have the sancturary include some of the shallow water areas that actually do get fished.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
What would happen if 100,000 females survived? Surely couldn't be a bad thing.

The crab sancturary is a joke that was brought about to make it look like something was being done. Almost all of it is deep water that doesn't get fished in anyways.

You wanna really help the population your going to have to end Winter dredging, end retention of all sponge crabs and have the sancturary include some of the shallow water areas that actually do get fished.
Rob,

Amen brother............

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The crab sancturary was developed and pushed by the folks at VIMS to give the female crabs a safe passage from the upper bay and rivers to mouth of the bay to spawn. The sancturary at the mouth of the bay has been in place for 20 or 30 years.

There is a proposal to include the up river areas but not so much to protect the female crabs but the male crabs. There has to be a balance.

Several other issues were discussed at the Janurary meeting. Here is the agenda.

III. Old Business

a. Size limit increases for the Potomac River tributaries

b. Black sponge crab protection versus additional spawning sanctuaries

IV. New Business

a. Alterations of the pot and dredge season, March 15 versus April 1 and December 15 versus December 1

b. Statewide increases in minimum size limits and cull rings

c. Upriver sanctuaries (refuges) to protect male crabs

d. Use of agents, multiple licenses per vessel

Like I said if people have something to say they should send something to Jack; attend the Commission meeting and speak during the public comment period or during the public hearing, also you can attend the next Blue Crab Advisory Committee meeting and suggest something there.

Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts