Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has come to my attention that commercial crabbers again are planning to request that VMRC reopen the
very destructive commercial winter dredge season.

The female crabs that are harvested from the crab dredge fishery are a very low quality
commercial product. A percentage of the mostly female crabs that are landed by the crab dredge fishery are broken, mashed,
filled with sand, and not comparable to free swimming crabs caught in pots which can be sorted befoe being killed. .

Please send a letter or email to Robert O’Reilly requesting that the winter crab dredge
fishery remained closed for the December 2015 through March 2016 season.

A personal letter in your own words concerning the closure of the winter crab dredge fishery would be the best way
to communicate your desires regarding the blue crab fishery. If you believe the crab dredge fishery should remain
closed on a permanent basis then you should copy the letter provided below.

Please send your letter or email soon so that your opinion on this issue can
be copied and given to the members of VMRC by their meeting date.

Address your letter or email to:
Robert O’Reilly, Chief, Fisheries Management-
Virginia Marine Resources Commission
2600 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor
Newport News, VA 23607

Email rob.o'[email protected]

Sample Letter
:

Robert O’Reilly, Chief, Fisheries Management
Virginia Marine Resource
Commission
, 2600 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor
Newport News, VA 23607

Dear Mr. O’Reilly,

I would like to provide my support for continuing to protect the portion of the female crab population
that winter in the lower Chesapeake Bay by keeping the crab dredge fishery closed for the winter of 2015-16.

Sincerely,

Name

Address

City
State
Zip

Phone

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It has come to my attention that commercial crabbers again are planning to request that VMRC reopen the

The female crabs that are harvested from the crab dredge fishery are a very low quality
commercial product. A percentage of the mostly female crabs that are landed by the crab dredge fishery are broken, mashed,
filled with sand,
and not comparable to free swimming crabs caught in pots which can be sorted befoe being killed. .
This subject was posted a couple weeks ago.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/sho...-may-be-re-opening-their-winter-dredge-season

Not sure if the above "bolded" text is your own words, or if you copied it from somewhere but before this gets into a commercial bashing argument here is Tom Powers info in reference to the "damaged" crabs.
I hope to stay out of the fray on this one . . . Some comments.

The proposal that is on the table is intended to be a net zero sum deal. Allow harvest of (mostly female) crabs during the winter and reduce the harvest of (mostly female) crabs in the spring prior to them spawning.

The damage to crabs is reduced by the reduced area. The crabs are damaged if you dredge on hard (aka sand) bottom but not so much on a soft (mud) bottom. Basically the proposed area is all soft bottom more or less north of the York River channel and west of the middle of the bay.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

filled with sand, and not comparable to free swimming crabs caught in pots which can be sorted befoe being killed. .

Please send a letter or email to Robert O'Reilly requesting that the winter crab dredge
fishery remained closed for the December 2015 through March 2016 season.

A personal letter in your own words concerning the closure of the winter crab dredge fishery would be the best way
to communicate your desires regarding the blue crab fishery. If you believe the crab dredge fishery should remain
closed on a permanent basis then you should copy the letter provided below.

Please send your letter or email soon so that your opinion on this issue can
be copied and given to the members of VMRC by their meeting date.

Address your letter or email to:
Robert O'Reilly, Chief, Fisheries Management-
Virginia Marine Resources Commission
2600 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor
Newport News, VA 23607

Email rob.o'[email protected]

Sample Letter
:

Robert O'Reilly, Chief, Fisheries Management
Virginia Marine Resource
Commission
, 2600 Washington Avenue, 3rd Floor
Newport News, VA 23607

Dear Mr. O'Reilly,

I would like to provide my support for continuing to protect the portion of the female crab population
that winter in the lower Chesapeake Bay by keeping the crab dredge fishery closed for the winter of 2015-16.

Sincerely,

Name

Address

City
State
Zip

Phone
Thanks, most here are aware of the proposal. Many agree taking the females for chump change is a blow to the future of crabbing. Since dredging is viewed as harmful to the bottom(grasses, don't worry, crabs don't need it) and potential of killing the catch. Hoping it is shot down, but who knows what the powers in charge will decide. Money talks, as is always the case. Glad it is the VA waterman, they at least, know how to fill out the forms properly, LOL.

Hope for the best future possible for the Bay's resources.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Taking of sponge crabs should be outlawed as well. Not only is this practice outlawed in other states,(Maryland) the amount of crab meat extracted from sponge crabs is very low and poor in quality. It also impedes progress from reestablishing the Chesapeake Bay Blue Crab population. Allowing sponge crabs to continue to be harvested is cancelling efforts from outlawing winter dredging. Keep dredging closed for good and ban the harvest of sponge crabs. Thats what the crab fishery needs. Not reopening the winter dredge season? This is the message that needs to brought up to them from everyone else.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but since crabs migrate across state lines, could and shouldn't they be somewhat protected under federal law?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I don't know if it's a good idea or not, but since crabs migrate across state lines, could and shouldn't they be somewhat protected under federal law?
.That's a good question. One I've often wondered that myself. I would love to see the Feds step in and settle it.We have contradictary laws between Maryland & Virginia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts