Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 24' Albemarle with a Volvo Penta gas motor and drive

The boat runs great on a full tank of fuel. When it gets down to about 1/2 a tank the carb. begins to starve for fuel. It will only run about 2500 rpm. I have a clear glass fuel filter in front of the carb and I can see the lack of fuel supply when I try to get the boat on plane. The condition is worse during rougher sea conditions.

Once I fill the tank, it runs great no matter what the sea condition. I have changed fuel filters and fuel water seperators and the condition still persists.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Check your fuel pump to see if it's gotten weak. Had one that wouldn't pull fuel through the anti-siphon fitting - but if you took the hose off of the fitting and stuck it straight down in the tank it ran great. Might be the same problem since a full tank of fuel would provide a little more static pressure and help the fuel pump do it's job. Also, if that doesn't pan out, you could possibly have a pickup tube problem inside the tank.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
there is a strainer screen on the inside of your pickup tube going into the fuel tank . take tube out , punch out screen wire in tube , reinstall in tank . add fuel filter on fuel line ,mount new filter on engine box firewall . that should fix it .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll give them a try and hopefully get this problem worked out.

I'll let you know what I find.

Take Care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts