Tidal Fish Forum banner

Do you support all fish citations requiring photographic proof

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The annual meeting of the Tournament Committee of the Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament will be held Tuesday, December 15th at 2600 Washington Avenue, Newport News, 7 PM, inthe Virginia Marine Resources Commission's Library, located on the fourth floor of the building. The meeting is scheduled to start at 7 PM and is open to the public. A VSSA rep will be at this meeting. If you enjoy getting fishing citations from the state, you will want to pay attention to this. The committee will consider a request to require all release Citations, whenever a minimum measured length is specified, be required to submit a clear side view photo of the fish on a measuring device clearly showing the length of thefish, in addition to having a witness of the catch sign-off on the Citation form. Currently only in those unusual situations where anangler is fishing alone, and no witness to the citation catch is available, is a photograph of the catch required.

http://www.mrc.state.va.us/Notices/2015/SWT_Comm2015Meetingpressrel.pdf

The question to all you anglers is do you support this proposal,yes or no. Do you believe this requirement will result in the fish being out of the water a little longer to position the fish to take the extra photo for submission? If so, the longer the fish is out of the water could increase risk whether the fish will survive or not. Your response is requested NLT Monday, December, 14th so VSSA can represent your position at the meeting on Tuesday. You can also send your input directly to Lewis S.Gillingham, Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament, 2600 Washington Avenue,Third Floor, Newport News, VA 23607, (757) 491-5160, [email protected].

Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association (VSSA)
ifishva.org
joinvssa.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IfishVA/

·
Registered
753 Posts
I feel its a good idea. In the past, many folks I know of have claimed larger fish catches, just to pet their over inflated egos and to be cock of the walk for a day!

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Submit the photo how ? And to whom ?
So it will require the angler to own a phone or camera capable of taking the pic, having a flash, having a device big enough to view at the place of business that fills out the paper work ....... if the photo has to be submitted will it be done electronically or a printed photo ?

I can see it as an issue for kayakers and shore fishermen ........ people aren't always quick with a camera especially when dealing with boats and water and if it's rough or raining it seems it would take too long to photograph the fish and return it to the water to live another day.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Submit the photo how ? And to whom ?
So it will require the angler to own a phone or camera capable of taking the pic, having a flash, having a device big enough to view at the place of business that fills out the paper work ....... if the photo has to be submitted will it be done electronically or a printed photo ?

I can see it as an issue for kayakers and shore fishermen ........ people aren't always quick with a camera especially when dealing with boats and water and if it's rough or raining it seems it would take too long to photograph the fish and return it to the water to live another day.
It's the same rule that applies to release citations when fishing alone when nobody can witness. One would have to print the photo at home (or photo printer at stores) so the weigh station can mail the photo along with the form. But in this case, the witness also has to sign the form too.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Is this really a problem?? I think it would be a real pain to have to get a picture to a tackle shop to send it with the paper work. I don't have a printer on my boat, so I would have to go home to print the pic, then go pack to the tackle shop. Plus, I'm sure the weigh stations will be thrilled to be dealing with the pics.

I'm sure, just like anything else, some people abuse the system. But, how many could it really be??? The added man power this will add to the process will be unnecessary. ie, more postage to send in the forms. Now someone has to verify all the pics. What happens to the pics after verified? I just don't see the need for it.

Chris
OUTCAST

·
Registered
235 Posts
I vote no since there's really no benefit and nobody else is getting screwed over by someone's else's cheating like there would be in a tournament. While I like to display my citations in Fish Cave, I frankly don't understand why anybody would go to the bother to register a fish anyway unless it was their first release for that fish or it was heavier than the current citation hanging on the wall.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Mike, I am outside the box on this issue ( no vote), but your email included something on Cobes. I am for boat limits! You asked us to let you know. How would you like us to?
Cobia forum on VSSA site?

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this really a problem?? I think it would be a real pain to have to get a picture to a tackle shop to send it with the paper work. I don't have a printer on my boat, so I would have to go home to print the pic, then go pack to the tackle shop. Plus, I'm sure the weigh stations will be thrilled to be dealing with the pics.

I'm sure, just like anything else, some people abuse the system. But, how many could it really be??? The added man power this will add to the process will be unnecessary. ie, more postage to send in the forms. Now someone has to verify all the pics. What happens to the pics after verified? I just don't see the need for it.

Chris
OUTCAST
I don't know if the problem is widespread but there are cheaters out there. Lowlifes that say, "Hey I'll sign yours if you sign mine", even though there were not even fish caught. So it is an attempt to bring "maybe" more integrity to the tournament. But cheaters always find a way to cheat as I'm sure one could google up some photos to print of a fish laying next to a tape measure. To me it's like cheating at solitaire.

·
Registered
615 Posts
What about the species subject to "estimation" (shark, tuna)

Shark, 72 inch release citation.

Show me how to hold a 72in shark sideways with a measuring tape along it without it beating the **** out of you or the boat.

I can see if it was a top down pic, shark in the water with a 72" ribbon on a stick.

I bet a 50" Cobia won't lay still on their side fresh caught in the bottom of a boat, another top down fish

I think it's adding more work than it's worth. Let one guy claim he kept a fish for a citation instead of releasing it only because he forgot his camera and watch the hordes attack him...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
"It is an attempt to bring "maybe" more integrity to the tournament. But cheaters always find a way to cheat as I'm sure one could google up some photos to print of a fish laying next to a tape measure. To me it's like cheating at solitaire."

You're right there, Mike. I think the proposed new system would complicate the release process for too many people. But the question might offer VSSA an opportunity to get more information out on good release techniques that minimize mortality.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"It is an attempt to bring "maybe" more integrity to the tournament. But cheaters always find a way to cheat as I'm sure one could google up some photos to print of a fish laying next to a tape measure. To me it's like cheating at solitaire."

You're right there, Mike. I think the proposed new system would complicate the release process for too many people. But the question might offer VSSA an opportunity to get more information out on good release techniques that minimize mortality.
Excellent point J.P., we can certainly do that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts