1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Immediate Release
November 3, 2008

Annual Meeting of Saltwater Tournament Committee Set

The annual meeting of the Tournament Committee of the Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament will be held Wednesday, November 12th at Marina Shores in Virginia Beach. The meeting is scheduled to start at 6:45 pm in the Pool Lounge.

The meeting will begin with a public comment period, providing anglers an opportunity to address the Committee with their suggestions and concerns relating to the operation and policies of the program. Following the public comment period, the Committee will proceed with its formal meeting. Major agenda items include: review results of a pilot study investigating movement and release mortality involving large striped bass in the winter fishery off the Virginia coast; review of the 2007 Citation data; State Record status report for Blueline tilefish, Golden tilefish and Snowy grouper. A copy of the meeting agenda is attached.

For more information, contact Lewis Gillingham, Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament, 968 S. Oriole Drive, Virginia Beach, VA 23451, (757) 491-5160, [email protected]. Or visit the Virginia Marine Resources Commission's website at Virginia Marine Resource Commission.

VIRGINIA SALTWATER FISHING TOURNAMENT
AGENDA FOR TOURNAMENT COMMITTEE MEETING
Marina Shores Pool Lounge
Virginia Beach, VA
November 12, 2008
6:45 pm

I. Introductions/Announcements

II. Approval of minutes from the 2007 annual meeting

III. Update on hooking mortality during the winter striped bass fishery

IV. Review 2008 Program

V. Review changes made to Program for 2008 (reduction in qualifying weight for swordfish and reduction in qualifying release length for tarpon)

VI. State Record Program

VII. Citation/State Record Appeals

VIII. Public Comment Period - Public comment invited at 6:45 pm. Meeting will start at end of public comment period.

IX. Other Business

X. Adjournment

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone has anything they would like to be heard by the committee as public comment post it here and i'll make sure it gets brought up. I'm usually one of the few people there making public comment and have been known to spout off for awhile. Ken (Healthy Grin), who is on the committee, will usually bring up points that are made here also.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Thanks Rob, I got two things I think could go differently.
The first is spanish mackeral. This year was a phenominal year for spanish mackeral with great numbers and a really good size to the fish, yet there were only a handful of citation size fish caught. I personally caught well over 1000 spanish mackeral this summer and had 3 citations all summer. I spent several days out of every week during the summer catching spanish and many days I limited out.... those were the first three citation spanish that I ever caught also, (aside from a huge 7.5# one I caught years back on accident). I think that the minumum size requirement for a citation spanish should be moved from 4# and 26'' to 3.5# and 24'' because I think that would be a more accurate depiction of what a trophy spanish mackerel would be in Virginia and I think that change would yield around 100 citations annually vs. the 10-20 caught annually now.
The second one is gray triggers. Same thing about there being low numbers of citations caught each year, but good numbers of fish being caught. Like spanish, I think the bar may also be raised too high and a trigger should be moved from 4# and 20'' to 3.5# and 19''.

·
Registered
7 Posts
add the length of fish on release citation plaque. this may give some added incentive to release larger fish. if you have a plaque that says 65 inch cobia - it lives. if the plaque says 85 pounds it dies. additionally there is a big difference between a 53 inch red drum and a 46 inch one. it would be nice to have that noted on the plaques, especially if it can be done a low cost to the program.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts