Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gents,

One if my biggest fears happened yesterday. While jumping into my truck J. Cash came up lame favoring his rear right leg. I have never heard him whine like that. BAD. I thought oh my gosh. So I drove him past my vet on kent island WHICH I LOVE (if anyone doesn't mind the ride they're the best vet ever). They were closed but doing a rabies vaccination day for QA County. $5 sounds good to me. So the vet looked at him while he got his shot and at that point he was walking ok. She said ligaments concern her when it comes to rear leg injuries. Today on the way home whatever is going on flared up again. It kills me to see my best friend in pain (or at least I think he's in pain). He's lethargic but will put weight on the leg. Money is a concern but at the end of the day I'll sell my truck and kidney to make sure my guy is ok. So I pose these questions:

1. Has anyone had this issue. Seems the pain is coming from the first joint up from the paw. Achillies?

2. Does anyone know a good vet surgeon. I love my vet BUT they are not surgeons. Cost and care for the dog are important. Care first cost a far second but still a consideration.

3. If you did have this happen did you address or wait a few days? I've had mixed responses. Some say give/wait a few days and see if it gets better or see how it turns out, it may be a strain. Some say get him to the vet ASAP. I'm more apt to go with the latter. Actually I'm will take him to the vet tomorrow.

This happened within 30 hours of now. The reason I post is bc I'm almost positive this is going to end up in surgery so I'd like to get my ducks in a row as far as the right surgeon goes. Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Evs

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
http://cvssvets.com/surgeons.php
Evans, I used Dr. Roa for my lab at Chesapeake Veterinary. I would have them evaluate Cash and see options. FYI my dogs hip-replacement was not cheap. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colin,

Thanks for the response I'll def check them out. At this point money is the least of my worries. It looks like, from initial prognosis from my vet, he has an achillies injury. Him walking means it wasn't completely ruptured. He hasn't made a marked improvement to this point so I'm calling tomorrow to see if I can get an appointment for a MRI.

-Evans

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Sounds crazy, try giving the dog aspirin. Years ago our dog hurt itself, went to the vets, she suggested aspirin. It worked.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kidz,

Thanks for asking. He's doing fine. After I got Back from my initial visit, where I was given pain killers and told to monitor, so I slept on the couch for a week to discourage him from walking up stair and kept him on a leash to regulate walking distance. After a week or so the leg started to be normal with no signs of any tenderness. I discontinued the pain killer and have been taking him swimming to get him back in shape and help ease the leg back into usage. All in all he's doing pretty good. Knock on wood.

-Evans.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Kidz,

Thanks for asking. He's doing fine. After I got Back from my initial visit, where I was given pain killers and told to monitor, so I slept on the couch for a week to discourage him from walking up stair and kept him on a leash to regulate walking distance. After a week or so the leg started to be normal with no signs of any tenderness. I discontinued the pain killer and have been taking him swimming to get him back in shape and help ease the leg back into usage. All in all he's doing pretty good. Knock on wood.

-Evans.
Glad to hear the good news. Have a great summer with your best friend. So those pain killers were for him right, LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts