Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Brandon wants me to post a report, I will. The Wachapreague Vol. Fire Co. members and several town residents picked up 134 bags of trash along Wachapeague Road from Keller to Wachapreague on Sunday. This is the main road from Rt. 13 to Wachapreague. While alot if the trash was beer bottle and liquor bottles, alot was plastic ice bags and coffee cups that may have blown out of boats and the back of pickup trucks. Since flounder fishing starts April 1st, please secure your ice bags and coffee cups. Thanks.

The Little Pungo Ruritan Club also picked up 32 bags of trash from Mappsburg to Quinby Bridge. Same findings. Thanks for properly disposing of your trash when you visit our area.

Good luck fishing. Maybe I'll see you out there. David

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it is visitors - i have seen it for myself-idiots with trash, cooler lids, etc. blowing out the back of their DE, MD, PA, and NJ registered boats going down the road- also have seen it out on the water. If you can't respect a place- STAY HOME

·
Registered
673 Posts
I`ve seen it also while visiting a friend in Wachapreague this weekend, a friend with the volunteer fire dept was picking up trash again this year and stopped to say hey and at the end of the day I could not believe the amount of garbage that was picked up. Those guys at the fire dept need a thumbs up for trying to keep that place clean for all to enjoy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wachapreague ESVA Trash

I think it is some of both, but have to say that the Eastern Shore VA roads are some of the worst for trash. Can't understand why people just don't care and trash up an otherwise gorgeous place to live / go fishing. A real shame. PS - I'm from NJ and don't litter at all, and BTW the NJ country roads (yes we have plenty) win hands down for cleanliness, not even close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wachapreague ESVA Trash

Sorry - forgot to add the most important part to my previous post - Big Time Kudos to all you guys out there who cleaned up after the rest. Thanks for caring!

·
Registered
56 Posts
A few things

Thanks for your hard work. Don't forget the NC croaker fleet, and while NJ may have clean roads, you couldn't pay me enough to get in the water at the beaches.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Everything blows out before the croaker fleet reaches NJ. :D Lazy litterbugs are in my top ten "knothead" list. Pick up after yourselves :censored: it.
BTW, the eastern shore is a nice place, I've always enjoyed trips to the shore to see customers. Thanks for keeping it looking good.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Trash is trash. We all need to do our part.

I know I've lost stuff out of my truck and boat when I've been careless.

I will say there are a fair number of local people who think nothing of tossing trash out the window. I pick it up all the time along my property. This is not the accidental trash. Boxes of beer bottles don't blow out of trucks!

I live here and I don't think it is problem caused exclusively by visitors.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was at the Shell landing (Reedville) ramp last weekend, water was way low..I could not believe all the **** in the water - broken bottles, tires, plastic, pieces of metal, etc etc, that was only in like 50' of shoreline. I stood there and tried to estimate how much **** is strewn along the 100s of miles of shoreline in VA alone...it is a sin. Also, I see one drunk drive by my house routinely throw his empty beers in the ditch - which will wash into the bay soon enough. Disgusting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Trash is trash. We all need to do our part.

I know I've lost stuff out of my truck and boat when I've been careless.

I will say there are a fair number of local people who think nothing of tossing trash out the window. I pick it up all the time along my property. This is not the accidental trash. Boxes of beer bottles don't blow out of trucks!

I live here and I don't think it is problem caused exclusively by visitors.
OK- I admit I was a bit hasty in my previous reply but it is sad that such a beautiful place is plagued by litter from both residents and vistors. I suppose I would only hope/wish that if you live here you would have more respect . . . . . .
And thanks to the Wachapreague Volunteer Fire co. and all those that do their part to pcik this mess up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bet that for every ice bag found on the side of the road, I could pick up a truck load of household trash on any ESVA road. It is not the visitors, it is the locals. Sad thing is, with the recent restrictions on size limmits, you won't see all that many folks visiting this year. think the trash problem will go away? If you do, I'll sell you the ramp at Morley's.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't want to offend anyone by claiming i'm accusing visiting fisherman for causing all of our trash problems. I was simply asking them to make sure their ice bags and coffee cups were properly disposed of. I also picked up alot of tackle packaging.

Most of the stuff picked up was local. Beer bottles/cans, diapers, whole bags of trash, fast food packaging were the norm.

It seemed like the same people would drink several beers on the 4 mile road everyday and throw out a bottle in the same location. The wooded areas were the worst.

Anyway, I'll be fishing Sunday morning out of Quinby. If you see a white Chincoteague scow with a Mercury, say hello. David

·
Registered
216 Posts
I also do not believe its all visitors. I have a place in Ocean City and the road past my place is littered by the locals.....I bet I could get at least 5 casesof empty beer bottles and all the same brand. Its new litter their even in the winter when the croud is gone...
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think its the mormons that are throwing all the trash along side the roads here on the shore. Thats why Utah is so clean, they send their missionaries here with all their trash. Friggin mormons!:soapbox:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
commended

David the work that you did should be commended . I saw the number of bags you picked up on 180 monday . I will try to keep loose trash fron the back of my truck when I am driving around .

Guys daf is a super nice guy and he did not mean to sound harsh , if it came across that way .

all I can say is LET"S GO FISHING .:clapping2: ::clap:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Virginia needs to 10 cent deposit beverage containers, Michigan has it and your lucky if you can find a six-pack within a fifty mile radius.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Papa John: That was my point.. Stupid thing to argue about. Its the locals! No its the visitors! No its the Mormons! See how stupid that sounds?
I didnt really think it was mormons. Amish maybe but not the mormons.. Friggin Amish!

Kevin: Where did you get that avatar? It suits you somehow..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts