Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, all of us know, "It ain't what it used to be back in the day", but that doesn't make it any less desirable to be there in the spring ... at least for me. We cherish the clear water in the grass and curse the muddy water churned up from heavy rains and the Conowingo spill gates.

No longer are there 50 -100 boat fleets using, "Bent Rod Sonar", to find fish let alone the ones that ride their boats through a school others are fishing while quietly drifting through.

On a calm morning when the sun is rising over the Northeast River, you may be trying to avoid the carp doing their thing in the shallows as you search for better water to throw that 17 Tony, topwater or weedless fluke as far as you can and swim it through the grass in anticipation with every turn of the reel handle.

Yes the rockfish season will close for a while but there are other species to be caught in the same locations.
I remember catching a decent WP on a chatter bait when I was fishing for LMB. Surprised the heck out of me but I could not duplicate that catch. I guess there was only one aggressive WP there or maybe he, "identified as a largemouth". ;-)

Bass tournaments will have, "Glitter Boats", running 60-70mph all around. I sold my Stratos 201 Pro bass boat in 2008 after I bought my Triton 240 LTS bay boat. I still love to watch them run WOT on the pad throwing that rooster tail. The need for speed never gets old but 50mph is my WOT and that suites me fine.

Now, snakeheads are all the rage and they are certainly fun to catch and are in the same areas. I plan to target them as much as possible.

Anyway I write this as I have one more day of work and my vacation plan is to be up there Friday and into next week.
People ask, "Where do you want to go on vacation?" My answer, "On the boat, fishing."

Why I love the Flats.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The flats are beautiful. Didnt get out there for the short CnR this yr or last yr before CnR got shut down for survival only (wtf). Boat was down anyway. But I will say 2 yrs ago end of March was very good mainly 20s but a few 30s. Nothing like the old days. Every yr is different. Nice video.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for the post Jeff.

The Flats is such a unique environment. If you are not catching fish, there are so many other places to check. And so many potential hazards!

For years, we have camped up there and fished the Flats in April. We camped at Elk Neck State Park until they decided to outlaw alcohol. Thanks Governor O'Malley! Then we started camping at my friend's farm on the Sassafras. Private beach and no one else around. This suits us better. My friends and I moor our boats off the beach and run to the Flats every day. Fish until noon then run to Havre de Grace, Northeast, Georgetown or wherever for lunch. Harass the poor waitresses, tip well, and then run out for the evening bite before retiring to our beach for dinner around the campfire. It has been one of my favorite weeks of the year for 25 years.

I go up there every chance I get this time of year which, unfortunately, is not often due to tax season. As your post clearly shows, the Flats is a special area. But I sure do miss the days when the Striper fishing was good.

Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts