Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weakening demand for such discretionary items pushed Target's same-store sales - or sales at stores open at least a year - down 3.3 percent for the third quarter.

Reeling from the economic crisis, cash-strapped consumers have been turning increasingly to Wal-Mart, loading up on basics like paper towels, laundry detergent and canned soup.

Last week, Wal-Mart said its quarterly profit rose 10 percent on a 3 percent

I wonder if after this recession is history all we have left as a consumer choice is Wal-Mart?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Weakening demand for such discretionary items pushed Target's same-store sales - or sales at stores open at least a year - down 3.3 percent for the third quarter.

Reeling from the economic crisis, cash-strapped consumers have been turning increasingly to Wal-Mart, loading up on basics like paper towels, laundry detergent and canned soup.

Last week, Wal-Mart said its quarterly profit rose 10 percent on a 3 percent

I wonder if after this recession is history all we have left as a consumer choice is Wal-Mart?
Doubtful with the Dems. in office.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/17/washington/17dems.html?pagewanted=print

DES MOINES, Aug. 16 - Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware, a likely Democratic presidential candidate in 2008, delivered a 15-minute, blistering attack to warm applause from Democrats and union organizers here on Wednesday. But Mr. Biden's main target was not Republicans in Washington, or even his prospective presidential rivals.

It was Wal-Mart, the nation's largest private employer.

Among Democrats, Mr. Biden is not alone. Across Iowa this week and across much of the country this month, Democratic leaders have found a new rallying cry that many of them say could prove powerful in the midterm elections and into 2008: denouncing Wal-Mart for what they say are substandard wages and health care benefits.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2006?????????? Geeze CZ ya better read faster if your cut and pastes are going to reflect current thought. :D When any one corporation becomes too big there is a excellent chance that the public will suffer. Example: Back when I was a VP with Strolee of CA Sears came a knocking (we already manufactured for M Ward). They offered us a contract for 100.000 units @ a certain, profitable, price. Mr. Smith, President turned them down. When I later asked why he pointed out that we would have to commit to new warehouses, equipment and personnel to meet the contract (which was for one year). He said Sears was famous for offering a profitable contract for the first year then cutting the price to where the mfg. is making nothing or losing money on the deal.
My point regarding WM becoming too big and shutting out competition is based on this experience.:nono:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Went to Target with SWMBO 2wks ago,don't like going to T or WM,
but in Norfolk,she's not going alone.
We ended up buying a new cooking set which came with a $20.00
Target gift card making the full set of T-Fal $40.00 plus $20.00 to,
I mean for her,to spend.
At check out,the T-Fal rang up at full price,I told the cashier about the
tag on shelf,an associate walked back with me,they even opened other
registers when our line backed up by only two people,associate confirmed
tag on shelf with supervisor,and it was honored with an additional $10.00
gift card.
That's just good service,what impressed me was a customer broke an
item in checkout,supervisor doing our authorization said excuse me,got
on radio,called an associate for clean up of broken material.
Two people responded,no questions asked,cleaned and swept up debris.
Go to WM and see that,I'll kiss your ass,or let me rub mine on one of the
WM isle's oozing who knows what,and you can kiss mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts