Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had any luck catching walleye in the past at Lake Gaston? Looking to do a little more fishing down there this year and would like to add another species to the list. Also, any luck catching striper in the lake?
Thanks
Lee

· Registered
125 Posts
Hey man,
I have had decent luck with the walleye in the spring in Gaston. I live in Halifax county on the Mecklenburg line and fish mainly buggs but hit gaston quite often for a change of pace. I have caught right many walleye up there in the spring. I spend most of my time way up on gaston though behind the dam. Have caught them in the throw net two or three at a time before (let them go!) With rod and reel have caught them on live alewifes, jerk baits, and some soft plastics fishing for bass and stripers. The striper fishing is awesome back there in the late spring early summer. Cant beat it with a stick. Can cast artificials or fish live shad under corks and so forth and catch plenty. While doing so, can catch blue cats, gar, and nice bass too. Its a fun place to fish that time of year. Oh by the way, Gaston is loaded with yellow perch, and they are of considerable size. Didnt want to let that secret out but they are there by the thousands!
fishrxdr

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man I appreciate it. I've been going down there since I was a baby to my granddad's place in little Emporia and haven't fished the place nearly as much as I'd like to, mostly from our dock for cats and bream since I haven't had access to a boat. I appreciate the info. So you fish mostly on the dam end? That's really close to our place.
Lee

· Registered
125 Posts
The bass fishing is awesome on Gaston. The hydrilla makes for that. In the spring its 5 lbers swimming around everywhere. The bowfishing is great down there too. Huge carp everywhere on the grass flats and in some of the backwater and creeks. A nice fishery all the way around to me. The blue cats are getting larger and larger and more popular in that lake as well. They catch them in the 40lb class often now. Still not as good as buggs or the james but getting better.
fishrxdr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.