Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Those nuts are for the birds and squirrels....dont believe the deer want anything to do with them. Too many other options available this time of year anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have noticed, over the years that whitetail will try to avoid an area that has walnut trees. I think the smell from the green outer casing of the nuts is so strong it screws up their sniffer.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I dont think they like hickory nuts either......look how long it takes a squirrel to cut open one.
But they dont mind the trees.....I used bow hunt in a creek bed that was lined with walnut trees......a good straight tree for your climbing stand and the leaves drop early to give you a good view.....I saw alot of deer under them.

Mark

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NEW PROPERTY AND A LOT OF WALLNUT TREES. NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THEM. JUST CURIOUS. THANKS FOR THE REPLIES

·
Registered
64 Posts
wife had a big bag of shelled walnuts that were kinda old, and was going to throw them out, so I took them and threw them out for the squirrels at the edge of the woods, Day later a deer was out there milling around all day trying to ever one of them. Am I on to something?

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]RJFishalot originally wrote:
wife had a big bag of shelled walnuts that were kinda old, and was going to throw them out, so I took them and threw them out for the squirrels at the edge of the woods, Day later a deer was out there milling around all day trying to ever one of them. Am I on to something?
[/Q]
yeah----a very expensive attractant.[grin]

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have wallnut and chestnut trees in the back part of my property, been seeing the deer feed on them the past couple of weeks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wallnut skin husk are used to season & dye steel traps black, they used it in the old days to dye fabrics, deer i don't think they like them! varmits do, also black walnut trees sell for big $

1 - 11 of 11 Posts