Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ocean kayak which I fish from on the Severn River and at the ocean. I need some advice as to where I can purchase rod holders for a Kayak..both spinning rod and Fly rod holders. Also would like to know if the portable fish finders work that you can purchase at Bass Pro or in Cabelas. Does anyone know of a kayak shop where you can purchase accessories for a Kayak or website.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I would get Scotty Rodholders, the make both a fly and conventional rod holders. Wild River Outfitters in VA Beach sells them. BPS also sells them.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree with Cory...

Scotty's are the way to go. You can also interchange them with bases on other vessels, if you get an additional yak. Bass Pro has flush mount rod holders for $5.99/each. Bass Pro has about the cheapest price on Scotty's and flush mount holders. You could look on eBay, but the prices ar actually higher with shipping.

As for the fishfinder, I would go with a mounted version, and epoxy or Goop the transducer inside the hull. It will keep you from forgetting it, and I thnk they may be more reliable.

Don't forget the anchor trolley system too. I used to think it was overkill, until I set one up for myself. All you really need is a couple caribiners, and some line. Most yaks have somewhere already to attach them.

Drop me a line if you want some more ideas. I have a whole fleet of kayaks, and spend way too much time fishing from them.

John "Toast" Oast
Williamsburg Kayak Fishing Association
http://wkfa.org/

·
Registered
302 Posts
I spent the last two weeks pimping my ride so I'll throw my $.02 in.

For flush mount rod holders, I prefer the ones from KFS (KayakFishingSTuff) which are $7 a piece but have a cap on the end to keep water from getting into the hull of the kayak. I think the ones at BPS/West Marine/Boaters World/etc. are intended for boats and have open ends that lets water drain through them.

On my kayak, i have 2 angled flush mount rod holders for trolling spinning rods and 2 Scotty Flyrod Holders for carrying 2 fly rods. I also have one Ram Rod Holder mounted up front that can hold whatever rod I'm using at the time (fly or spin) and can swing out of the way if necessary.

As for fishfinders, no need for a portable one. You can use any fishfinder you want and power it with one of a few choices. You can use a rechargeable 12volt sealed lead acid battery or you can rig up a rechargeable AA box with 8 batteries thats smaller and lighter. The SLA battery will get you 20-30 hours of use, the 8 AA's about 10 (I think). The AA's are smaller and lighter, the 12volt is big and heavy. Some people have also powered there setup with cordless drill batteries, RC card batteries, etc.

There are a few articles on KFS regarding power setups you shouuld check out. And I'd recommend buying as much as you can from KFS: No sales tax, and ground shipping from NJ takes 1 day (essentially overnight). I still had to get some things locally from West Marine/Boaters World/BPS/and Dick's but the majority of my stuff came from them.

Oh, if you're going to add an anchor trolley or other non-stretch lines, go to EMS in Annapolis and buy their black 4mm rope that has a reflective thread run through it. Its cheaper there than anywhere else I've seen it. Its in their rock climbing section.

I'll try to get a pic of my kayak posted as well. Also, if you want assistance doing it I'd be happy to help. I live in Columbia.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Good point about the rod holders letting in water...
I forgot to mention that I did need to cap mine off. I used the ends of a couple plastic cups, and siliconed them on the end. You can also get PVC pipe ends at any home store. Just make sure they fit. But yeh, the yak specific ones are a lot more convenient. The end result is the same, weighing cost vs. effort.

For batteries, I have the sealed gel battery. Again, an eBay purchase. In the case of batteries, that is a great place to get one for minimal $.

Oh, and importantly, seal any holes you have drilled. If you bolt through the hull, just put a dab of silicone around the bolt to stop leakage.

Here is the link to our website, with a listing of what's on my T160:
http://members.cox.net/wkfa.org/index_003.html

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
REDFISH Good info!I already have flush mounts.
Goin to try saltwater flyfishing out of my yak soon and need flyrod holders.A picture would help plus saltwater gear info would be welcomed.

WKFA I checked out your website .Looks like a good one .I book marked it for a closer look later.
Lots of good info for an old "New Yaker " thats "Hooked"
Thanks guys![excited]

·
Registered
302 Posts
It allows you to adjust the tieoff position for your anchor. Easily Moving it from bow to stern as conditions necessitate. Thats probably not the best explanation, but if you look at the articles at kayakfishingstuff.com or I think ruthless had an article in Chesapeake-angler magazine. If you search for it here, you'll probably find some old threads that talk about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.