Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone willing to share with me the info about where I can catch rock thru the winter inside the Key Bridge at warm-water discharges? I have recently renovated a boat and want to be able to launch at the Boston St ramp, then fish during late November, Dec and January... I don't know where the spots are that attract fish and hold them during the winter months. Capt. Tom Hughes or anyone else: can you help? Thanks much.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I heard Domino Sugar has one, but have never heard of report (good or bad) from there. The Patapsco Wastewater treatment plant has discharges that can hold fish in the winter. My usual fishing buddy Steve F pulled a 35"er from the on President's Day a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
There are more WWD's then people realize in the harbor area.Some run all the time-others only certain days.

The BGE plant has one- the sugar factory is another well known one.There are a few waste water treatment plants that discharge water that is warmer then the river also.ADC map of Baltimore can help find good areas.

Some of the smaller industrial plants also pump out warm water.A good temp. guage is very helpful in finding WWD's.If you see workers fishing at lunch break ;-) - might be worth checking out.Keep an eye out for other boat fisherman in winter - often they are running/gunning the WWD's also.

Watch also for birds sitting around in tight groups- they often sit near WWD.

Another thing to watch for is an outgoing current (falling tide) in late afternoon on a very sunny day.The shallow waters are often black mud-this absorbs alot of heat from the sun.The outgoing current will carry this into deeper water - in effect, a natural WWD :yes:.The first drop off around 3-6 feet will often be great fishing.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
God gosh skip, that's some good info there. Now why don't we see reports from you about the WWD in the winter? You live near there, obviously have indepth knowledge (I like the part about watching other people running and gunning) but we never see your reports from there. Everywhere else in MD yes, but just not in Baltimore area.

The part about watching employees fish on lunch breaks is so true. Funny too. If only I could have access to some of the discharges after hours. A couple jobs almost got me on CCNPP once and then a friend got a job there but she was fired shortly there after. It's been known to be done while sneaking on site late at night (not CCNPP) but I'm not a juvenile anymore and not worth the risk.

Here's to looking forward to cold miserable weather and eager fish. :beergood:

Should I.... Post this???? Oh well
Power Plant Locations In and Around Maryland - Fact Book

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
The problem with Domino's is the speed limit to get there and back. Small discharge chute and some nice deep humps out front to 45ft. Traffic, even during the winter can be a pain unless you're in the chute.

·
Banned
859 Posts
wagner and brandon shores. you will need a calm day to find brandon shores outflow (outflow=poopy water)- 3 boils. but underwater discharge pipes are shown on map. wagner- on the right hand side is the discharge. the left hand side is the intake- be carefule there. travel down the right hand side coal elevator until you get to shore. you will see a steel wall 30ft from shore, between shore and that wall is the discharge.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
If I fish somewhere-I post about it.I've fished the harbor area before but most years in winter I'm off PLO/Smith Point looking for true monster Rockfish.The chance to land a 60 lber is too strong a draw to resist.The harbor fish are not that big.

Other trouble with some of the Baltimore discharges is the shallow water near some of them.There is debri ( steel I beams,rocks,etc) and with a deep Vee hull and two SS props :eek2:- shallow water is not somewhere I like to go_One good grounding could cost $$$$$$.

I also like to jig up White Perch around the bay bridge in winter.I work alot during winter and do not get out as much.The good weather days are spent down south off PLO :thumbup:.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Baltimore Resco has a WWD up under the bridge at Harbor Hospital.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Alexandria Power Plant...just look for the smoke stacks near the Wilson Bridge. Better fishing from shore though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Baltimore Inner Harbor winter ideas

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post about where to find warm water discharges in the Baltimore Harbor -- especially Skip. LET'S KEEP THIS TOPIC GOING.

Let's see more specific locations discussed and located from anyone who knows where they are. Please consider this: simply sharing information is NOT the same as giving away the ranch on your best private fishing spots -- there's more to it after that because one must actually put the info to use and try to catch fish! Skip understands this and that's why he enjoys posting his details...

TFers --- please reply here to the question about how to fish all winter in the Inner Harbor area. Please keep the ideas coming -- we all can enjoy the chance to get out there during the off-season if we share ideas...I want to try it. Thx again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts