Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Western shore anglers Be Aware......Theres an illegal, unmarked, anchored and submerged gill net about 2 miles off Chesapeake Beach in about 40 feet of water. The net itself has floats on it but they are submerged at about 15-20 feet.
I believe it to be about a 1/4 mile long.
GPS coordinates N 38 40 735 W 076 27 620

I lost an umbrella rig and about 250 ft of PowerPro to something this morning, figured it was a ghost pot but now I don't think so.....80# PP and a tight drag will usually drag a ghost pot along (i've snagged a few).
Later this afternoon we snagged something with two other umbrellas and a deep tandem, I wasn't trying to lose all that gear so we gathered lines and backed down, finally cranked up the net. As I think about it I suspect my lost umbrella is in the same net, GPS said my outbound path was about a 1200 feet away.

I've made a report to DNR and they had another report in the same area.....called it 2 mi due east of Plum Point.......the officer said the GPS coordinates in the other report were very close......avoid the area around the above coordinates!

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
Hope DNR gets it before who ever set it does.With you giving DNR the GPS numbers- hopefully they will go right after it :thumbup:.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Probably allot of this going on with the way the economy is this yr.

Nice of you to report it and hopefully it will get pulled sooner than later.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope DNR gets it before who ever set it does.With you giving DNR the GPS numbers- hopefully they will go right after it :thumbup:.
If I did'nt know for fact that it's full of fish and dam*ed heavy, I'd hook it and tow it in myself.
I can also see the area with binocs from our community pier so I'll be keeping an eye out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gill Net

That made for an interesting trip. Never caught one of those before. Chalk that one up with the boot, side curtain, plastic bag, anchor line with anchor on the other end, ... on some of my other trips of the past.

Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts