Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seemed to be a quiet day. Put in at Messick, went out past the Highrise, over to 3rd and back. About 50 miles total with one schoolie. Tried eeling, trolling stretches, umbrellas, bunker. Tried everything from 80 feet to 15 feet deep. Trolled the pilings and out in the open. Hope some had better luck. By the way, where all the birds? :confused: I have yet to see the big flocks working this year.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
From what I've been hearing, there has been some pretty decent fishing from Cape Henry to Rudee on the oceanfront. Also, I'm sure others will chime in but finding bait/fish marks is more important than finding birds working. Last year, there were many times the Gannets were raining out of the sky everywhere and the fishing stunk...

Did you mark any schools of bait while traveling around? Hope your next trip works out better for you.

Glenn

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you mark any schools of bait while traveling around? Hope your next trip works out better for you.

Glenn[/QUOTE]

Did mark some fish and some bait balls, never the stacks of fatties like last year. With the lack of "good" posts so far for today, I think it was just a slow day out there (at least in the Highrise area).

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
10-4 to that...checking the fishing center site, it looks like it may be Cape Henry to Rudee where it is going on right now?

Keyboard fishing for me...hoping to get out this week. Been in the bullpen too long with visitors the last three weekends.

Keep after em'!!

Glenn

·
Registered
297 Posts
Trolled along the 2nd, sputtered over to the High Rise (sounded like I had water in the fuel today, noisy as hell above 15K). Made it over to Spot #7 (which produced a handful of 40" plus fish a week ago) off the start of the High Rise, bayside, and dished out eels throughout the water column. No luck. Will work on the boat this week (new plugs, filter, change oil, and fuel water zorb ) and try to hit them up next weekend.

·
Registered
717 Posts
All the birds are off the Beach at Rudee! Miles of birds and acres of bait, hundreds of boats... Fish on the other hand were few and far between for many of the folks we passed. Actually saw very few boats land fish till later in the day? Heard the fish were there on Sat but today was a different story for sure.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've been fishing out of lynnhaven for over ten years and have never seen the lack of
birds like this year...Every year prior to this one I would come out and run into birds,
use to fish the bird off little creek, lynnhaven, both sides of the bridge and most everywhere but not this year....

I haven't seen the bait either....we managed to pick up our limit of 6 and a bunch of
C&R ones wire lining the tube at the first but not until the strong incoming
slowed. I talked to one friend who fished the ocean front and they only had one fish
and talked to a guy at the cleaning station who said he trolled up two on umbrellas
at cape henry but it took him five hours....

Hopefully there will be alot of reports of good catches from the ocean front....

Howard

·
Registered
120 Posts
Most of the birds have been oceanside, either at the mouth of the bay or along the coast. Plenty of birds were to be found on Sunday, but you had to get ahead of them to find the fish. If they stayed in front of you, the current was so strong you never saw the bait they were flying over.

Joe (Miller Time)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Fished around 3rd and 4th Saturday morning for 5 hours, no bait no birds no fish. Finally found a school of small 19-23" fish near curve between 2nd and 3rd. Lots of fun and at least the fish had some meat on them. Limit of 6 and then catch and release for 45 minutes before heading in. Caught on bottom and with inlines on bucktail, chicken and tomic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sunked Also

Trolled from high rise to Cape Henry with umbrella, stretch and power bait eeels with the saME results....didn't see anyone else doing anything. Man, there are a lot of eeler's out there this year...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Always the first time

Sat, eeling at the HR from dark 'til 9:30 NADA.
Moon was very bright.
I remember Dr. Julie Ball said Full Moon = Stay Home.
Any truth to this?

Any body care to express their thought s and comments?

Thanks
Hary
:fishing2::helpsmilie:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Fished 4 hrs Sat at the North Channel and Smith Island for NADA; moved over the Ramada and worked scattered birds (3 hrs.) for two nice fish. Nothing to brag about though. That evening I talked to others in the Bluewater Tournament and it seems we left the big fish to go to the Ramada. Fished again Sunday with a rookie crew from work and drifted eels at multiple water depths at the North Channel and High Rise to the Red Can twice with no bites. Moved offshore to Smith Island and hooked up pretty quickly only to loose it to the rookies trying to pass off the rod. From the bridge I could see the fish 100 feet away; appeared to be one of the big one's. Suffered another long stretch with NADA and tried the 4th Island tube to get some meat; boxed one quickly and then suffered the fate of rookies wire lining the tube; should have known better but it was a desparate move when you have 6 rookies and no fish.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Saturday and Sunday

Fished Saturday near the shoal with eels - no luck - went to Cape Henry, no luck. Late in the day, came back in toward the CBBT - birds working bayside between the bridge and the beach. Had fish up to 36 inches - quick limit. No real pattern to what they hit on, stretch 12 and 25 seemed to be the favorites.
Sunday, fished Cape Henry early, lots of marks - no fish. Made the run to just south of Rudee. Had 4 36 inch fish there, and missed a few more. Ran back up by the Cape late in the day - more fish there. Everything on the oceanfront was on chartreuse deep. Wires and stretch 30s.
Wednesday looks like the next possibility. Call me 434-0044 if you have questions, not the expert by any means, but have limited out on every trip but the eeling trips this year.

Pat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts